water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lkenn80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so following the advice of everyone here I got a master test kit. This weeks results were,

Ammonia- .25ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- between 40 to 80 ppm. Color looked very similar to both.

I'm new to this so wondering if theres anything I need to be concerned with.

I did do a pwc today, the test was done before the water change.

your tank looks to be cycled. How long has it been running?

My only concern is the 0.25 ammonia and relatively high nitrates.
What size is your tank?
How many and what fish are in the tank?

Its been running for over about 2 months now. I have some neon tetras, black skirt tetras, Rosie tetras, dalmation mollies, and a pelco. Total fish= 17 and the tank is 90 gal. And I have been doing weekly water changes.

Most people recommend water changes whenever ammonia/nitrite are over .25 and whenever nitrate is over 20.

Ok, I will do some more frequent water changes. I know ammonia and nitrite should both be at 0. Whats the ideal nitrate I should be targeting?

Your tank looks understocked! which is a good thing.

I'm just interested on why you are getting high nitrates and an ammonia reading.
What filter(s) do you have running on your tank? It's possible that there is not enough filtration or turn over for your size tank.

Just under 20? Or is there a specific range?
For nitrates, Ideally less than 20.
But under 40 is acceptable.

When is the last time you cleaned and serviced your filter?
Also, do you vacuum your gravel when you do a water change?

There may have been a build up of waste (that your biological filter cannot support) in your gravel bed, or filter sponges, which needs to be removed.

The filter is the big aqua clear. I don't remember what the exact model is but I can find it. And it does have a underground filtration system also. I have not vacumed the gravel so that's probably the issue. I will get that done ASAP.

What's the best way to service the filter without harming the good bacteria? I haven't done anything with it because I was afraid of destroying the good stuff.

By the way thanks for the rapid responses and the great advice.

i think there lies the problem.
ONLY changing the water will just dilute the chemicals in the tank. It doesn't physically remove the source of the ammonia (i.e. fish waste, uneaten food).
Remember, a filter only conveniently collects the waste in the tank for easy removal.
It's your job to take the next step and finally remove it completely from your system.

Don't be afraid to clean your filter and vacuum your gravel. Your fish will appreciate it.
Just alternate each week between cleanings.

week 1 - vacuum gravel + water change
week 2 - clean filter + water change
week 3 - vacuum gravel + water change
week 4 - clean filter + water change
etc....

As long as you rinse and clean your filter media (sponges, floss, wool, carbon, biomax etc... ) using tank water, it is safe for the bacteria.
The water that you have removed from the tank when doing water changes can safely be used to clean and wash the filter.

lkenn80 said:
The filter is the big aqua clear. I don't remember what the exact model is but I can find it. And it does have a underground filtration system also. I have not vacumed the gravel so that's probably the issue. I will get that done ASAP.

Having gravel can be an issue since food and junk can get deep enough the siphon can't pick it up. Have you considered removing the underground filter and changing your gravel?

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help. I will start that rotation and keep an eye on it.

lkenn80 said:
What's the best way to service the filter without harming the good bacteria? I haven't done anything with it because I was afraid of destroying the good stuff.

By the way thanks for the rapid responses and the great advice.

Just clean the filter with old tank water

alex07 said:
Having gravel can be an issue since food and junk can get deep enough the siphon can't pick it up. Have you considered removing the underground filter and changing your gravel?

I haven't thought about that. Like I said I'm very new to this. If it would be better with out the underground I will remove it.

If you already have a aquaclear there's no need for an underground filter.

I haven't thought about that. Like I said I'm very new to this. If it would be better with out the underground I will remove it.

I personally would keep the undergravel filter.
It doesn't hurt to have it.
As long as you keep up with your tank maintenance (vacuum gravel, cleaning filter) and regular water changes - you should be in good stead!

And judging from your water parameters, it looks like you are on the right track.
(y)

when you vacuum your gravel (using a siphon), you are essentially doing a water change at the same time.

For large tanks like your 90 gallon. You can vacuum half of your gravel one week, and the other half the following week.

Bubble_B0y said:
I personally would keep the undergravel filter.
It doesn't hurt to have it.
As long as you keep up with your tank maintenance (vacuum gravel, cleaning filter) and regular water changes - you should be in good stead!

And judging from your water parameters, it looks like you are on the right track.
(y)

Reason why I don't like underground filter is because usually after a few months of operation the gravel begins to pack with so much junk and dirt that circulation stops and the bacteria suffocates. Since the filter still appears to be working, water quality deteriorates usually unnoticed until it is too late.

Reason why I don't like underground filter is because usually after a few months of operation the gravel begins to pack with so much junk and dirt that circulation stops and the bacteria suffocates. Since the filter still appears to be working, water quality deteriorates usually unnoticed until it is too late.

I completely understand.

However, I find if you use a powerhead with a REVERSE-FLOW action (e.g. aquaclear powerhead 50 or 70) connected to your undergravel filter, then it eliminates the problem of trapped waste.

Back
Top Bottom