Water testing / cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devil doc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Santa Claus delivered a new API drip solution master marine test kit. I have had my biocube 29 set up for about 2 weeks. I have a question on my test results.
Ammonia.......0
Nitrites............0
Nitrates............20.

Am I still in cycle?
Thanks for the help.

Did you ever see a spike in Ammonia or Nitrates? What was the ammonia source for the cycle? If you did a fishless cycle, i would add ammonia and test to see how quickly it turns into nitrites/trates. 2 Weeks seems awfully short for a cycle.

I agree with Rick. If you saw a spike in ammonia and nitrites and that is what your readings are now then you probably did cycle. We have an excellent article on cycling in the SW articles section. Read that and see if matches your experience.

Hey y'all, I am performing a fishless cycle. Last night was the first water check I've performed. The live rock I had used came from a established fowler tank. Should I add a piece of table shrimp or just wait. I am now starting to grow hair algae everywhere with no lights on for 2 weeks. Thanks for the help.

If your'e looking for an ammonia source, i'd add pure ammonia directly to your tank. Much easier to duplicate and doesn't stink up the room like a raw shrimp decomposing does.

Back
Top Bottom