Water testing HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweitzer24

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to see if my water from the sink is good for my new tank. What tests should I run to see if the fish will do good and what treatment should I put in the water to treat it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Buy a water testing kit and just test the yap water. Post your results, it will allow people to give ideas what fish would work best.

Always best to test your tap water. You can then work from a known baseline.
For instance, my tap Kh and Gh are less than 1 degree and would leave my tank prone to acid crash without buffering, my water is probably softer than most would experience. However, the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are undetectable, great for water changes. Ph is neutral. Given these parameters I can make better decisions on which fish to keep.
I do recommend a liquid test kit rather than test strips. Liquid test kits are more accurate, less prone to becoming unreliable due to age and in the long run cheaper.
In any case, tap would should be treated with a dechlorinator, Prime is an excellent product.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok i have those. I will do that soon

There is no ammonia in the water. My pH is inbetween a 7.6 and 7.7. What fish? Or what should i do to treat it

Ok so what size tank do you have or what are you thinking of buying. What are you looking for in fish? Wet pets, Small or larger fish? Your water hardness is same as my tap water and I keep an African tank and community tank.

I am gonna get a 30g and idc what fish

There is no ammonia in the water. My pH is inbetween a 7.6 and 7.7. What fish? Or what should i do to treat it

Your water should be fine for most fish. My water is the same and I've kept from Angels to Africans for years.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your Tap Water

I want to see if my water from the sink is good for my new tank. What tests should I run to see if the fish will do good and what treatment should I put in the water to treat it.

Hello ms...

If you're not keeping and breeding rare fish species, then you don't need to worry about what's in the tap water. Just use a treatment like Seachem's "Safe" to remove the chlorine and chloramine. The chance of your tap water not being suitable for the aquarium fish you get at the local pet store is very unlikely.
B

Back
Top Bottom