Water testing kit questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I am new to this hobby, up until now I have been taking my water to the pet store to have it tested. I am getting in my novice opinion unusual spikes in ammonia and nitrates. This seems to be occurring after I gravel vacuum and add fresh water.

I have decided it is time to begin tracking my levels regularly to isolate the cause of these spikes. I will be buying a water testing kit shortly.

My first question in which type of kit is better, the one with the vials and drops or the one with the testing strips you place in the water? It seems the strip tests are more economical and easier to use.

Thanks in advance.

IMO, when you need a quick answer as to where your levels stand, the strips are just fine. They are a lot faster, and a lot less hassle. However, I prefer, for a more accurate reading, the aquarium pharmaceuticals drops with the vials. They may take a little longer, and be a little more of a hassle, but I feel it's worth it.

I do think this choice of yours to start testing your own water is a great one! Whatever brand, strips or drops and vials will be better than the store testing your water.

Strips are quick and easy but usually not the most reliable form of testing. They're much more "sensitive" than drop tests, as well; I've had strip kits go bad because of the high humidity we see here in the summer months.

The AP and Hagen drop kits are good choices, in my opinion. :D

*nods and agrees*

I prefer the liquid/vial tests for more accurate readings. I'm using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand and they work well.

WAs shopping in cleveland but just found a great lfs right under my nose. Turns out that a "companion" animal place is actually a pet store. Got a great deal on a new light for my 55 gal there yesterday.

I've been in there once when he first opened but haven't been by in a while. It's a bit of a drive but I highly recommend The Fish Store. It's in Evansville (a few miles north of Dayton) and Bernie has a great shop. Great prices and a great selection of healthy fish.

Back
Top Bottom