water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys i have a few new questions. i been looking on the inernet and cant seem to find any thing i can understand. i have a question about kh,gh,and dkh, i have currently have 2 test kits that i have no idea how to use. i have gh and kh. i only use my kh, i know kh turns from blue to yellow. i dont know what gh turns.

well when i test my aquarium i get about 8 drops and it starts to turn from blue to a light green and then the 9th drop turns to yellow. there for i think of it as 8-9 drops. how can i convert this to dkh or alkalinity? and is this ok for my tank?
also i just tested all parts of my water and got
ammo-0ppm
nitrites-0ppm
nitrates- 0ppm-2.0 ppm
calcium- i do water changes every monday so i would think they would be in check.
phospates- i dont have a test kit.

Frogspawn,

Personally I think the only values you need to be concerned with are these:

ph
Calcium
Alkalinity

Unless you are keeping a demanding reef that has tons of SPS corals that need near perfect water conditions I think those values are the most important to check. You should be finding your calcium reading in around 350-450 ppm give or take and your alkalinity around 185 ppm.

If both your calcium and alkalinity are in check; your ph is staying stable then you should be ok. A drop in either calcium or alkalinity will have an effect on one or other or cause fluctuations in ph. As you likely know your ph should be between 8-8.5.

i though you could convert or multiply by somthing to get your alk. by the gh or kh. i though i read somewhere you could multiply it by 2.8 to get it or something like that.
i see my acapora sps not looking as bright as the pictures on the web were i bought it at. and i though it could be due to the alk. or calcium. the polyps come out and wave in the water so i would think everything is ok with it, but its just not as bright purple as it should be.

What lighting (k, w, type) was the coral under when the pictures were taken? What lighting do you have it under now?

That will play a big factor in your colors. Phosphates will also play a part though if you have algae in the tank you may measure 0 even though your corals are absorbing it as it tends to get absorbed faster than you can read it unless it is way over acceptable limits.

What test kit are you using and what is the result measured in that it reports? if 8 is the dKh then the meq/l is 8 divided by 2.8.

Here's a link with many permutations of the Conversion Formulas.

gh tests are mostly for FW and are not used in SW.

Most kh tests IME are 1 drop=1 dKH so you have a color switch around 8-9 drops you have about 8-9 dKH which is fine.

Normal range is 7-11 dKH,

Knowing the exact test would help verify the reading. Didn't the test come with instructions or explanations?

Back
Top Bottom