water tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lockert81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just done our weekly water test and the nitrate level is 0 should I be concerned? Amonia and nitrite levels are still good. This is the first change in water quality for 2 months.

Seems unusual.
What was the reading last week?
Are there live plants in the tank?
Are you 100% sure you did the test correctly?

Amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. As sure as I can be that I done the test properly. Going to test again tonight to see if anything alse has changed. I have live plants but only a couple, did take some out yesterday and moved some gravel about but thats the only thing ive done different lately

How many fish in how big a tank ?.\ What is the usual nitrate reading you get ?

Not having nitrate is not a bad thing necessarily, but it might, possibly, mean you have a mini cycle on your hands.

Since you are not seeing nitrites but are seeing minimal nitrates, I don't think you have a mini cycle.

If you have only a few fish or quite a big tank, that might account for low nitrates. Plants also use them as food, so planted tanks tend to have lower nitrates, but just a couple of plants shouldn't use all that much.

Glad someone asked this question. I have a heavily planted 10 gallon that will not show any nitrates. It has been set up for 6 months. It went from a nitrate reading of 20-40 to just barely showing any orange in the nitrate test. When this first happened I was afraid something had happened to the cycle. I added seeded material from my other tanks twice but the nitrate level will not rise. I am assuming it is all the plants. I have 12 different plant species in this tank. Hope someone with plants can chime in.

Nitrate reading has been at 5 for 2 months now. I have quite alot of fish a mixture of guppies, neon tetras, mollies, platys, cherry barbs. Not sure of numbers off top of my head but in total about 35 in a 26gallon (uk)

Back
Top Bottom