water treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
what does everyone use for water treatment, what is the best method.

i used to use reverse osmosis columns until i realized they did not give me ammonia free water. maybe they were just old, or just suck.

i found out about this ammoina remover, and also removed chlorinates, i see it does the job quite well. not bad.

i wanted to ask if i could just buy distilled water and add salt to it, if this would work.

how do you purify your water?

Thanks for any responses.

I use R/O water and it comes out all 0. your filters could be old. I wouldnt see anything wrong with using distilled water since it is pretty much pure water

I just use a RO/DI system. That looks like a pretty good article the captain gave.

Thanks. I posted the same thing on yahoo and decided to get prime and just forget about RO filters. Too much hassle and poor results.

I have read somewhere than some distilled water can be contaminated due to contact with copper and could be toxic to the life in your tank but I don't know if this is true

I know the first 7 yrs I had my tank I used distilled water from Food Lion. I`ve heard the same thing about copper pipes but I`ve also heard they dont use copper anymore.

would like to turn into a reef tank in winter depending if i have the money or not - wanna replace live rock and my fluorescent lighting for t5 or mh. looking to make some huge changes to my tank, want to change the substrate too from crushed coral to white sand.

noticed my RO water is still showing ammonia - so i want to scrap that idea and just treat my tap water with prime. adding this "ammonia remover" worked well but now i know prime is the best stuff i will use that. lots and lots of great feedback on that stuff.

have you considered using the RO unit and treating the output with Prime? Best of both worlds.

You also might want to look into a new/better membrane

I would suggest an RO/DI unit. You can get them on EBAY for 100 dollars or less. IMO you should not do a reef with treated tap water.

Back
Top Bottom