water trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasteguys2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will I have issues keeping fish with tap water that test like this .25 amo/ 2-4ppm nitrite/5ppm nitrate?

ForumRunner_20111108_145320.jpg

That kind of sucks. You'll need a good quality conditioner like Seachum Prime, to detoxify the ammo and nitrites long enough for the BB to consume it.

Only other option is to use RO/DI water.

Ty, I use prime now, I just was not sure if my good bacteria could consume that much before killing fish.

Im just curious if your water is city or well? If its city, i would call your water co & have them come out & test it (it wont cost you anything). Either way, you could consider using an under-sink RO unit (something im considering) but i know they are not cheap! Just a thought...

JLK my water is city water. And I called the water company to have them come out and test, they will be here today.

Wow. The ammonia and nitrate wouldn't be problems; once the tank cycles your good bacteria would consume the ammonia before it could harm the fish. Nitrates at that level aren't toxic so that wouldn't be an issue either. The nitrites are another story though, I'm afraid. Hopefully the water company will fix it b/c high nitrites aren't even safe to drink for humans. :( If not you may have to use spring water or R/O water enhanced with minerals (like RO Rite). Let us know what the water company does.

Yea the EPA only allows 1PPM nirites and above 2 can be deadly to young babies and harmful to others. Water company is here now and I think they don't like when others point out mistakes from them. He asked what test kit I used and I showed him my api kit and I also went to my work last night and borrowed a 4 thousand dollar water test kit and the results were the same. I will update with his results when he is done testing.

JLK my water is city water. And I called the water company to have them come out and test, they will be here today.

You may want to bring a sample to an independent lab yourself. These labs are tucked in all over the place and most will supply you with the actual test kit to bring back to them. Google "home water testing".

You should also be supplied by the town with an annual water quality report. If you have not received one, call your water company.

This is an example of mine: http://www.ctwater.com/en/Customers/~/media/Files/2011%20Water%20Quality%20Reports/2010WQ%20ReportWeb.pdf

Well they must of found the cause and the water is testing ok atm. I called the EPA on them so the have to retest every 12 hours for 7 days to be safe. Now I have to tackle my Ph issue.

Back
Top Bottom