Water turning green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started noticeing for a couple of days now my tank water turning green, it's nothing extreme. I did a water test and everything reads fine 0nitrite, about 10nitrate and 0 ammonia.... The tank has be setup now for about 8-9 months so I'm assuming it's just signs of maturing... the gravel that was WHITE is now GREEN but it's not hairy, and I have 1 pleco in there but I still have to wipe down the town almost once a week on the glass b/c it builds up green alge so fast on the glass withen one month you it's unbelivable. But that's not my concern I have noticed that the top of the water has green alge floating around "A LOT." Was just wondering if this is fine, my fish that I have in there are fine and healthy but just want to know what you think.

this is just one of my 10gallons, I do a water change about 1 now about every two weeks. and I have one LIVE plant in there.... I don't know the name of it but it's some of them bulbs you buy from walmart. ANd only 2 fish, one GSP and a pleco that's it..

I have the tanks on a timer that's set for 12hrs of light a day, and it's near a window but the window is completly coverd b/c I don't like SUNLIGHT in my room

I would reduce the lights to about 6-7 hours a day. Algae needs three things: nutrients (your plant should be taking care of this), water (well, we can't get rid of that can we?) and light (ahhh, a possible solution). Get as much algae outsas you can and give it a try. You didn't mention your PWC's. How often?

Back
Top Bottom