Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have Diatoms, brown/green algae, in the tank. I have been doing 20% water changes 2-3x a week. It is still heavy. I have taken water test both at home and at a tropical fish store. Both results were 0 ammonia,0 nitrite and 0 nitrates. Phosphates good. I have soft acidic water. I can't stand the way the tank looks. I just set up the tank 4 weeks ago. There are 5 Von Rios, and 5 Corycats in the tank. Any thing I can do. I was told it takes time to get this stuff out of the tank. The pictures aren't very good at showing the brown. You can see it best on the spyderwood.:(

Attachments

• fish_2976.jpg
    fish_2976.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 67
  • fish_2978.jpg
    fish_2978.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 50
Hi. New. Tanks are prone to all sorts of bedding in problems and diatoms are just one. They will go of their own accord, just keep the tank clean, maintain it to keep the fish healthy and it will look better - but not in a few weeks. You need to be patient. Don't throw chemicals at it, just wait it out.
Your water readings of zero nitrates would indicate that the filter is yet to be loaded with beneficial bacteria (cycled) although your stocking may be low and you do look to have a lot of plants to eat up the nitrates.
I would urge you to be patient, keep up good maintenance and hygiene and don't over feed the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would suggest if you are using the api test kit that you shake solution bottle #2 really well as it crystallises and gives incorrect readings of not shaken enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom