waterflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donoree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie here!

I have a small 17 gallon tank - 14"x12"x18" (width x depth x height). It's been running for three months now. All I have now is a damsel and I just recently added a cup (should've researched and planned it out before purchasing).

I'm hoping to make this into a mini-reefer.

How does one determine the correct waterflow. Also, what direction? My LFS told me to point the powerhead so that the flow disturbs the surface of the water.

I have two RIO 180 powerheads running (with the waterflow turned down because I don't want a cyclone in my tank)

I plan on purchasing some Key rock from liverock.com, also.

Btw, are those microbubbles acceptable? Is there a way to get rid of them or are microbubbles a good thing?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. this site is awesome! i'm learning so much!

p.p.s. I also have a SeaClone 100 protein skimmer running and a little fan running to keep the heat in check (i love my $20 fan! it saved me from spending $$$ on a chiller!)

Micro bubbles are not a good thing, how to get rid of them would largely depend on what's causing them.

Turn the power back up on the powerheads, you do want a cyclone in that tank, and you cannot come close to the amount of flow the corals and fish are subjected to in the ocean. I would point them at the front glass angled towards the center, and put them on a wave timer, I would probably also add another powerhead.

is that cap fine with PC? i always thought they need MH or a lot of light. but ya i think i have about 500 gph on my return pump and then a MJ 900 and goign ot replaceing it with a MJ1200 soon i have water turn over of about 12x per hour on just the return pump. you can have too much flow on a tank unless the fish are pasted on the sides of the tank.

ok.. got it!

1. turn up the power on my powerheads and point towards the center (but won't that tire out the fish?). and add ANOTHER powerhead?? really??

2. microbubbles are caused by my protein skimmer. what should i do??

3. the cap is actually doing very well! before, when the heat was up on my tank (83 degrees), it was withdrawn... but since i've added the second powerhead and installed the fan dropping the water temp down to 78 degrees, it's been doing very well and looking healthy!

this site rocks... thanks for all the advice!

to the rest of you out there... enlighten me!

skimmers when new can produce bubbles. They should go away in a bit. The other cause of bubbles is a small leak in your plumbing, check hose connections and tighten as neseccary. What type of skimmer?

It's not a cap, it's a cup coral Turbinaria sp. Should be fine under PCs. As noted above new skimmers will produce micro-bubbles for a week or two, if it persists, you'll need to look at adjusting the amount of air going into the skimmer or the waterflow. Seaclones are not the best skimmer, I think I would have recommended a bak pak 2R or a remora for that size tank.

your absolutely right... it is a cup coral

and i will defintely check out those recommendations you made on skimmers... thanks!

do you think the PC i have is sufficient lighting for a small anenmone if i were to try one like next year?

Just from other peoples experience they dont work that great. I have a seaclone 150 and plan on get the remora, when the cash flow starts flowing a little. My has done good so far. It will fill up a nastylittle cup full in about 4-5days. :wink:

seaclones are just under drivin if ya ask me !! other than that they not much diff than most skimmers !! if you add an air stone to the bottom of it it helps 100% but better to have them in a sump and not hanging on the back due to bubble issues !!

Back
Top Bottom