Wattage for 5.5 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would my light wattage need to be in order to grow low light corals in a 5.5 gallon? Also, do corals require a moonlight to grow properly?

Are you planning on using LEDS? If so wattage per gallon isn't really the way to measure, PAR ratings are the way to go. Corals do not need moonlights to grow, but they are good to have. Corals need to have a period of complete darkness, so remember that.

Are LEDs necessary? At the moment I have a 25 watt fluorescent bulb and was curious if that could work

If that is a t8 it will work for mushrooms and that's about it. The color will be gross though. Just get a par38 bulb and your color will be so much nicer and you can grow better corals

If that is a t8 it will work for mushrooms and that's about it. The color will be gross though. Just get a par38 bulb and your color will be so much nicer and you can grow better corals

Would the par38 bulb fit with this hood? The bulb you see is the kind it's meant for. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392679487.603061.jpg
Or will I have to get a clip-on fixture?

Take the good off either way. It inhibits gas exchange. You'd probably have to get a clamp. That light on there isn't going to grow any coral.

Gotcha. Any links to some cheap, decent quality clip-on fixtures?

I actually, I was able to keep an anemone under a stock hood like that. We just changed the bulbs out to better ones and he did great! He got to big for the tank though :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom