Watts for 35 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ow many watts would I need for a 35 that's 22inches deep?
I want to be able to keep a range of corals over the span of the tank if that helps.

Zactheninja said:
Ow many watts would I need for a 35 that's 22inches deep?
I want to be able to keep a range of corals over the span of the tank if that helps.

Need more specifics on types of corals. Softies, LPS, SPS, clams, nems, etc.

Probably a 250w dimmable halide. May be able to get away with a 150 but it might not be enough depending on where u position livestock.

T5's probably would not work very well considering tank dimensions and number of bulbs u would need.

Led's would probably be the most cost effective. Look at the new Kessil A350's i think 1 would be perfect for this tank and they run about 350-399 depending who you buy from.

Ok, I'll check that out.
I was thinking LEDs because of the heat so I could keep my canopy, thanks :)

Zactheninja said:
Ok, I'll check that out.
I was thinking LEDs because of the heat so I could keep my canopy, thanks :)

Yep leds pay for themselves in the long run when you factor in heat, electricity, bulb replacement, evaporation, possible chillers etc. of halides.

Gerr.
That light needs to be hung 2 feet over the tank.
Any other suggestions that I could keep in my canopy?

Zactheninja said:
Gerr.
That light needs to be hung 2 feet over the tank.
Any other suggestions that I could keep in my canopy?

What light needs to 2 feet over the tank? Not sure why you think that. Any light can be kept in a canopy with adequate air flow and dimming capabilities.

Only reason any light would need to be hung higher is if heat or too much light would be a problem.

Schism said:
What light needs to 2 feet over the tank? Not sure why you think that. Any light can be kept in a canopy with adequate air flow and dimming capabilities.

Only reason any light would need to be hung higher is if heat or too much light would be a problem.

I read it on marine depot or that fish place, can't remember.

Well, consider this. If the LEDs are not dimmable that just might be the case. I have seen LEDs hung 20 inches above the water. I currently have my radions 10 inches above the water level, but they are dimmed pretty heavily.

Zactheninja said:
I read it on marine depot or that fish place, can't remember.

Yeah not the case. As sniper stated. Only if heat where a problem. Or if they were not dimmable. All will work in a canopy unless you cant dim them in which case you would have to raise and lower for control of intensity.

Those look like decent LEDs.
I like the price too, how long is 50,000 hours normally?
And would that work in my canopy.
I couldn't hang it over my tank 10 inches.
I'm new to this and appreciate the help :)

Oh and would that be over powered?
I didn't see anything about dimming.

Sniperhank said:
Just read up on those Kessels. I won't lie, they are pretty cool. I'd put them over a tank if the price was right.

They are actually pretty affordable for their performance and the smaller model has been out for longer so finding a deal on craigslist or ebay is probably possible i think the A150 goes for about 250 new and the new A350 goes for about 350-400 and brighter than a 250w halide capable of penetrating a 30" tank with ease.

Ive seen these lights in action on many size tanks from 29g to 180g and im throughly impressed with both looks and growth. You can grow anything under these lights. Ive seen it with my own eyes.

My local fish and frag dealer runs only these in his shop. Simply amazing for the price in my opinion. Kessil is a great company. Still undecided between these and the radion for mu next upgrade. Just want the radion for the features and compatibility with vortechs.

Zactheninja said:
Those look like decent LEDs.
I like the price too, how long is 50,000 hours normally?
And would that work in my canopy.
I couldn't hang it over my tank 10 inches.
I'm new to this and appreciate the help :)

Which ones the a350 is dimmable, the a150 is not but will not be a problem, 10" is plenty.

Oh and 50,000 hours mean anywhere from 5-10years depending on usage. Minimal electricity and NO heat. They come in a few different color spectrums mimicking halides. Such as 10k, 14k and 20k. 10k being white light, 20k being deep blue and 14k falling roughly in the middle at a nice blue/white.

Hope that helps

I still have no idea >.<

The light has to be like 3 inches from the water so I need to be able to dim it.
The tank is deep so it needs to have capabilities to reach the bottom and take care of those corals.
But there are all these other factors. ._.
I think people try to make aquarium lighting complicated.

Back
Top Bottom