Watts per gallon overkill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It opens your tank up to more plant options and it will need more maintenance. Co2 will be the next step. Algae might be a problem.

Maybe not macros depending on your stocking, and micros even because pwc help replenish some of that good stuff. It's all trial and error. Co2 would help your plants absorb nutrients giving you less algae production IN THEORY. I believe every tank is different but most of the fun is in the experience.

IMO 5wpg is WAY to much and will invite alot of algae growth. Keep in mind that the watts effect smaller tanks more beings they are more shallow then larger tanks and the WPG rule isnt always a good one to follow. I have a 162 Watts on a 75 gallon Hi-Tech and this does just fine. does your light have more then one switch allowing you to cut down the light by chance? mine for example lets me controle each light individualy.

CleverBs said:
IMO 5wpg is WAY to much and will invite alot of algae growth. Keep in mind that the watts effect smaller tanks more beings they are more shallow then larger tanks and the WPG rule isnt always a good one to follow. I have a 162 Watts on a 75 gallon Hi-Tech and this does just fine. does your light have more then one switch allowing you to cut down the light by chance? mine for example lets me controle each light individualy.

Well it's only one 150 watt 6500k metal halide bulb. It doesn't have a dimmer unfortunately. Will buying an external dimmer that the light connects to help?

ah its a halide, well you can always try to see how it works and adjust your co2 and see if you have a large ourbreak of algae or just get some Otos and they will take care of it without any problem.

If that's the only light you have and don't want to get another one, you can make it work... 5WPG is ridiculous... 4wpg of T5HO on a 40 breeder was a tough battle... You can get window screens and use them to block some of the light. I just think that's going to be way too much light.

Also my 5 wpg tank has no algae and the plants are great looking. I did have a burst at the beginning but everything is great now

Yeah that's what I was reading. I might just try the screens to block some light. Raising it above the tank also reduces the light effect on the tank correct?

Atxpunx said:
Also my 5 wpg tank has no algae and the plants are great looking. I did have a burst at the beginning but everything is great now

Okay so I'll put black sun mesh cover on top of the tank and raise the light above the tank a bit. I'll mess with the co2 and see what works

Back
Top Bottom