Way tooo many snails, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125g cichlid tank and for about the last year or so I have had zillions of snails spawn. I mean there are literally hundreds on the decorations and glass right now. They are mainly itty bitty ones, they even float in the hundreds on top of the water. Since I never had any snail issues before the last year and I have never ever had live plants I think I may have brought them over from my saltwater setups from the water change pumps/hoses......

Is there any bigger snail or fish that would eat these guys? We;ve scooped out the ones that float before but it doesnt make a bit of difference since there are so many.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks guys

I have a 125g cichlid tank and for about the last year or so I have had zillions of snails spawn. I mean there are literally hundreds on the decorations and glass right now. They are mainly itty bitty ones, they even float in the hundreds on top of the water. Since I never had any snail issues before the last year and I have never ever had live plants I think I may have brought them over from my saltwater setups from the water change pumps/hoses......

Is there any bigger snail or fish that would eat these guys? We;ve scooped out the ones that float before but it doesnt make a bit of difference since there are so many.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks guys

I am a nooblet yet and do not own a tank... but I have been reading lots of recent late in prep for my own tank. I believe assassin snails go after other snails... however, I hope someone more knowledgeable backs me up or otherwise answer you correctly. :) Good luck!

Assassin snails or some loaches eat snails. What kind of snails are they?

Not sure what kind of snails they are exactly, I will snap a picture in abit and see if you guys know what they are.

I have two blueberry loaches already, never seen them even nip at one of them before so not sure if I have snail eating loaches or not. lol

Malaysian trumpet snail (MTS). I was wondering why your cichlids havent eaten them yet, its because MTS have very hard shells so they probably cant crush the shells. I would get some assassin snails, they suck the snail out of its shell. They should get rid of them. Or if you dont want snails at all, because assassin snails also breed readily. I believe there is something you can add to the water that kills snails. I would go the assassin snails route because I dont like adding chemicals to my tanks and you could even make some cash on the side selling assassin snails!

Sell them! People buy mts for like a dollar a piece. I'm sure people would readily take them off of your hands.

I have some BIG cichlids, like 8 inches or so but nope, never seen them eat them. lol

Where does one get assasin snails from? I have never seen them at an LFS, is it an online thing? Any recommendations of where to get some?

Back
Top Bottom