Ways to Deal with Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know cutting back on light and feedings will help reduce algae, but I was curious if there is a full proof method of fighting algae especially in high lighting tanks for planted setups.

CO2 injection, algae eating squad, and UV lighting? What's everyone's take on these?

many disagree, but I bought 1 Sucking algae eater and it cleaned everything up perfectly.
Overnight, the entire glass was almost sparkling clean.

SAE have a reputation of being agressive, but I have two tanks and both have 2 algae eaters. I have NEVER had a problem or seen any signs of aggression.

Other options would include a bristlenose or snails (but they are not as efficient as Sucking Algae eaters).

A BN pleco is a great addition if you have a smaller tank (I have a 20 gallon so a normal pleco is not an option). Oto's are also great little guys that are anything but aggressive (unless not fed, then they might suck onto the sides of your fish). SAE are considered one if not THE best algae eater, but you need to be sure its a true SAE and not a CAE. Most of these guys are interesting to watch at different times of the day and so buying one under the guise of algae eating crew is not always the only reason. I'm in the process of getting some nerite snails, and hopefully will be able to acclimate them to fresh water (from SW). They are supposedly the snail holy grail for algae cleanup in a planted tank (ie they eat algae but leave the plants alone). A team effort of a BN pleco, SAE/Oto, and snails should help to prevent a serious algae outbreak, but again its fixing the end result rather then the cause (imbalance in light/CO2/ferts). But its another fail-safe.

Pressurized CO2 is probably the #1 "guarantee" against algae. That is to say without a constant/consistent supply of CO2 algae is always going to be a possible issue, while with it, you need to have everything else in ample supply (ferts, etc.).

Large frequent PWC's are another way to swing the algae defense in your favor. Keeps the dissolved organics to a minimum, and prevents a macro deficiency from occuring (not counting potassium), not to mention removing algae/spores in the water column.

But in the end, you'll always be battling algae to some extent, we don't have filtered air and a sterile tank to start with so spores are everywhere and the same conditions that favor the plants, favor the algae. It's being able to keep the algae to a minimum that is a "win".

I want to add that the UV won't do anything except control GW....

I second that CO2 is the best defense...I can tell when my DIY CO2 is running out when the algae starts to reappear. Mix up a new batch and within a couple of days it is gone. I do not have CO2 on my low light tank anymore (1.5 wpg) and so far the cherry shrimp are doing their job and keeping up with the algae.

I also have SAEs and BNs and would never have a larger planted tank without the SAEs, they are amazing. Mine don't bother anyone although they do chase each other occasionally.

Keeping ferts in line also....PO4 will help with green spot algae, while making sure that NO3 doesn't bottom out will control cyano.

Why does CO2 work? I never understood that. I assume it's the carbon, because Excel works too.

Plant Needs in order of Importance
Light > Carbon (CO2) > Macro Nutrients > Micro Nutrients

This means that if you increase light the next needed nutrient is Carbon. By adding CO2 at sufficient levels you improve the chances that you'll avoid algae. Next comes making sure that the Macro Nutrients are all available in sufficient supply. This is more complex, but further reduces the risk of algae. Finally comes the Micro Nutrients. These tend to have less affect on algae, and more on the overall appearance of the plants.

Basically by increasing light you increase the demands for everything else down the chain. To avoice algae, either reduce the light or make sure everthing else down the chain is in sufficient supply.

So let's assume for a moment that you have high lighting, no plants, and CO2. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous. Will you end up with algae in that tank though?

theotheragentm said:
So let's assume for a moment that you have high lighting, no plants, and CO2. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous. Will you end up with algae in that tank though?

Yes, you will end up with algae. CO2 itself does not deter algae. CO2 turbocharges the plants and they combat the algae.

Back
Top Bottom