Ways to euthanize my precious angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty I got some clove oil. I'm gonna knock him out and then bang his head. He's been in a holding tank the past few days. I've been putting it off honestly but it's been awhile since he's eaten anything. I'm surprised he hasn't just starved to death. His scales actually look better. They don't really appear to be protruding anymore. Just really really slightly. And my husband is making me second guess myself by telling me he's looking better. But he still refuses to eat which makes me think he's not actually better. So I'm going to do it in a day or two. I gotta prepare myself mentally to smash my fishes head lol. Thanks guys.

Oh it's been a month at least. He's still really colorful. Not as bloated but I'm positive he has/had dropsy.

I'm going to wait until my next day off. So he'll have to sit tight for 3 more days.

Edit: You have already decided. Good luck, it can't be easy.

I fully understand that this is a repeat of the things many others have said, but DON'T BOIL HIM. If the fish is not tropical, this is the best way. But angelfish are tropical, so the most humane way is freezing. There is a sticky at the top of this forum describing it, but essentially you freeze water in the freezer until it's almost frozen and then drop the fish in. It's instantaneous, painless, and works on tropical fish.

Freezing involves at the least a moment of shock. And if the fish touches any ice it does cause crystallization pain. Why would you do this when you can get a readily available sedative (clove oil) and do it properly by simply putting the fish to sleep and use an alka seltzer tab to remove the oxygen from the water if you can't sever the spinal column?

Geesh guys, starting to sound awefully repetitive in here, op sounds to have made a decision on the matter. Abbitha, any signs of improvement?

Yeah I've already picked my method. The repetitive stuff starts when people don't read the whole thing and see my final,decision lol

Yeah he's still alive in the holding tank. Looks skinnier, not as bloated. I guess the lack of eating is starting to show. But he refuses to eat so not much I can do. His scales aren't really protruding as much. I have to really get close and squint and look really really closely to notice very very slight scale protrusion. But I read when a fish gets dropsy it's incur able and they almost always get again shortly after recovering the first bout and it's worse.

Yeah I've already picked my method. The repetitive stuff starts when people don't read the whole thing and see my final,decision lol Yeah he's still alive in the holding tank. Looks skinnier, not as bloated. I guess the lack of eating is starting to show. But he refuses to eat so not much I can do. His scales aren't really protruding as much. I have to really get close and squint and look really really closely to notice very very slight scale protrusion. But I read when a fish gets dropsy it's incur able and they almost always get again shortly after recovering the first bout and it's worse.
so basically he's wasting away?? Sounds sad.

Yeah. I'm euthanizing him in Sunday when I have off.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation abbitha. Be strong!!!

Yeah wish me luck! I try offering him a small bit if something to eat every day before his water changes but he isn't ever interested. I think he wants to die. I had to add more salt. I inky did a small amount when first putting him in there awhile ago but with the 30% daily changes I'm sure it's all gone now. His scales look more noticeable after doing this mornings water change a few hours ago. So maybe it was the salt giving me the illusion that he was looking better and that his abdomen was looking better. It's just to relieve some of the pressure until I can euthanize him Sunday. I know it's risky to do long term salt. I just did one light dose and then it slowly left the aquarium with each water change. It seemed to soothe him none the less.

image-236633771.jpg

Here he is right after this mornings water change.

Man I'm so nervous for tomorrow! I just hope I dose correctly and he doesn't freak out. I've read stories where the fish is desperate to get out of the water from the clove oil *sigh*

Man I'm so nervous for tomorrow! I just hope I dose correctly and he doesn't freak out. I've read stories where the fish is desperate to get out of the water from the clove oil *sigh*
surely an overdose won't hurt? That way.. Atleast you know it's a done deal..

Back
Top Bottom