We are all excited :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amosora

Aquarium Advice Activist
Almost my 20th day of water cycling, still no ammonia spike but we are all patient this time, excited though, I think my cat is excited to :)

Attachments

• image-1767613529.jpg
    image-1767613529.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 240
LOL Thats great. cat's like wth is this thing? lol

Good luck. Are you using straight ammonia or a dead shrimp to generate ammonia?

amosora said:
Almost my 20th day of water cycling, still no ammonia spike but we are all patient this time, excited though, I think my cat is excited to :)

20 days no spike? Don't be alarmed its not un heard of but its uncommon... can you tell us how you cycled? Have u been checking for ammonia since day one? Was you rock already cured when u put it in? What was your last readings?

fouldsy said:
Kitties love fishies :brows:

Nice looking tank - what are your plans once cycled?

Aha??? I want to have a reef tank with 1 clown, 1 yellow & 2 blue tang, 1 fire fish, 2 cardinals & i want them all in smallest sz possible. If this can be done, lucky me if not.... I'll still prioritize the welfare of the fish. Btw, I have already 2 damsels 1 fire shrimo & 1 cleaner shrimp 5 turbo snails & 5 snail who goes under the sand dont know their name :) am I a hard-headed newbie getting them during cycle?

I don't think your tank is big enough. You need a 180g for the blue tangs alone and a 6 foot tank for the yellow ones.
:)

carey said:
LOL Thats great. cat's like wth is this thing? lol

Good luck. Are you using straight ammonia or a dead shrimp to generate ammonia?

My "duce bigallow" who happens to set up my tank used LR and the 2 damsels so this is straight I guess. Any better advice for a baby (atleast for this hobby) like me :) thanks in advance.

Oh, youre cycling with fish? Have you read the articles on here about fish in cycling?

You def shouldnt be adding any more fish until your cycle is complete. Do you have a liquid test kit for the water? If so what are the readings?

carey said:
I don't think your tank is big enough. You need a 180g for the blue tangs alone and a 6 foot tank for the yellow ones.
:)

Oh so sad... I need to upgrade then.. Lol just kidding maybe when i'm super good at keeping reef tank.

carey said:
Oh, youre cycling with fish? Have you read the articles on here about fish in cycling?

You def shouldnt be adding any more fish until your cycle is complete. Do you have a liquid test kit for the water? If so what are the readings?

That's the thing. My reading for ammonia, nitrate, & nitrite were all 0, weird right? I tested it several times, the results were all the same. Ph is 8.8 3 days in a row.

If you have only a couple of fish it might take awhile to get some ammonia. But when you do youre gonna have to do water changes to keep the ammonia down.

carey said:
If you have only a couple of fish it might take awhile to get some ammonia. But when you do youre gonna have to do water changes to keep the ammonia down.

Oh i see... maybe i'll wait for another month :( so sad.

Once you start getting ammonia though it won't stop, so still test daily in my opinion. Once the ammonia starts then the nitrites willshow up and finally nitrates. When youre system can process the ammonia and nitrite without you having to do water changes then youre cycled.

Theres some really great articles on here regarding fish in cycling, I dont have the link but just do a quick search. It will explain it much better than I ever could. LOL

carey said:
Once you start getting ammonia though it won't stop, so still test daily in my opinion. Once the ammonia starts then the nitrites willshow up and finally nitrates. When youre system can process the ammonia and nitrite without you having to do water changes then youre cycled.

Theres some really great articles on here regarding fish in cycling, I dont have the link but just do a quick search. It will explain it much better than I ever could. LOL

Got it & yap browsing the site for more info. Thanks a lot

Or you can take the fish out now and see if your lfs will take them back for credit. Then you can do the fishless cycle. It could very well go faster now since you've already had some fish in your tank.

Smitty said:
Or you can take the fish out now and see if your lfs will take them back for credit. Then you can do the fishless cycle. It could very well go faster now since you've already had some fish in your tank.

I think i cant do that coz it is more complicated now. A friend gave a cleaner & fire shrimp and i didn't say "not now" coz i don't want to (sorry) & now i can't plan of taking them coz i think i'll do them more harm. Another reason is i dont know how to transfer them without oxygen supply. I bought super battle bacteria 8000 by ocean free, should i put some? Thanks for the patience of teaching me, promise, i'll do it from now on.

Well... good luck on the shrimp. They are not very tolerant to ammonia in the water and could very well not make it. Be sure to acclimate them before putting them in the tank.

I recommend you keep a very close watch on your ammonia level and be ready for a lot of water changes coming up if you plan to keep the shrimp.

Yeah, shrimp are prob the most sensitive to water parameters. i always acclimate mine at least 2 hours before putting them in my tank.

i would be really ready to do a water change as soon as you see ammonia, you might very well loose the shrimp while you cycle.

Yes i did, i think.... but not 2 hrs. I just did it for 30 min, 15 min floating and almost 15 for the drop drop method whatever it was called. They are still alive 3 days now. I do everyday checking on the paramtrs. I put the cbs to my sub tank (pity one) afraid that he might hurt the 2 shrimp. The cleaner already change its skin today, is this bad.

Actually changing skins happens frequently when shrimp enter a new home. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom