We have nitrites after only 5 days!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

Wondering if you can reassure me in this matter.

I set up my tank on the 21st of this month and upon checking it yesterday (being the 24th) my ammo level had dropped to between 0.5 and 1ppm but no signs of nitrites, so i re-dosed to 4ppm ammo and left it til today where i have just checked it and my ammo has dropped down again but now we have 1ppm nitrites.

It suddenly dawned on me that i left the decent sized fake rock cave in from when it was a coldwater setup but changed everything else so my only assumption is that this has helped with the quick cycle start (the coldwater tank was running for over 6 months but i didn't fishless cycle it when i set it up).

Does that sound legitimate and can i start getting excited :D

Thanks
Andy

I wouldn't doubt that the rock was loaded with bacteria from the previous setup. Nice one, it's always nice to have a jump start on a tank. The wait is excruciating.

I started a 10 gallon and 4 days later 4 ppm ammonia is gone over night, nitrites off the charts right now. I added a sponge and DW.

So it is possible to quick cycle

Checked it again today, ammo dropped, nitrites rose and we now have good levels of nitrates so things are looking well :)

PH is around 7.4-7.6 does that sound ok?

Pandy said:
Checked it again today, ammo dropped, nitrites rose and we now have good levels of nitrates so things are looking well :)

PH is around 7.4-7.6 does that sound ok?

Well it depends on the needs of your fish, as long as it doesn't drop or rise, or keep fluctuating. Stable is better than trying to adjust the pH

Right, we are another 2 days into the cycle and i'm on a plateau.

My test results are as follows:

26/9:

Ammo - 0.5 dosed to 4ppm
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 7.4-7.6

27/9:

Ammo - 0.25 dosed to 4ppm
Nitrite - >5ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 7.4

28/9:

Ammo - 0.25 dosed to 4ppm
Nitrite - >5ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 7.0

Due to the drop in PH i have performed a 50% PWC to see if that helps but my test results are consistantly the same over the last 3 days, would this be something to cause concern or should i keep on doing what i am doing and hope that things pick up over the next few days?

Thanks
Andy

Back
Top Bottom