Weekly Filter Maintenance too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmm... that doesn't sound right to me... you NEVER cleaned the filter for a year? just the impeller and siphon tube? nitrate factory much?

That's right, that's all I've been doing for the past year, and so far, not a problem. What does a clean filter has to do with nitrates anyway? To get rid of those I do PWC once in a while.

I was wondering if cleaning my filter during the weekly water change is too much?
Every week when i change 60l from my 240l tank i turn off the filter, wash the foam pads in the siphoned water, give the ammonia bags and activated carbon bags a wash in the water too.
I was wondering if this is a bad idea.. including cleaning my carbon media... will it damage my bacteria supplies?
Alot of waste seems to accumilate in the foam pads and the bags seem to eject alot of dirt when rinsed.
Thanks

Bottom line - you need to keep it clean. You will get better idea with time. If you see that not much junk comes of the sponge every week - do it every other week.

For me every other week is good. If I skip 2 weeks it starts affecting the flow. Also, you need to change carbon bag every month. Not sure about ammonia bag, if your tank is fully cycled there is no need for it.

That's right, that's all I've been doing for the past year, and so far, not a problem. What does a clean filter has to do with nitrates anyway? To get rid of those I do PWC once in a while.

Really? no one else sees a problem here? Are you reading the rest of this thread?
Cleaning your filter is like flushing their toilet.

As already explained a clean filter operates more efficiently. The solid material need to be broken down by heterotrophic bacteria before the nitrifying bacteria can do their job. If the solids are removed before they are broken down, the end result is less nitrate produced.

Back
Top Bottom