Weird 5.5 gallon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just set this tank up
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437174376.653687.jpg

My question is, could I put a granule of osmocote plus in the main compartment of the HOB filter? It would be until I could get the cash to order dry ferts. There isn't any livestock in the tank nor do I plan to stock it until the anubias and bolbitus take hold of the mopani. I was wondering if the granule would disappear quickly and cause instant problems. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also! Would water changes replenish nutrients in the tank? I have well water but no kits to test it at the moment, I'm starting new after a year out of the hobby.

Anubias don't really need added fert to grow. I don't add anything to mine, which has some anubias and Java ferns.

You'd be fine to wait for your ferts to come in..
Although the anubias you have aren't necessarily demanding the addition of small amounts of ferts would be beneficial..

sit in silence...

You will be fine but you can take the opportunity to cycle the tank before adding fish

Caleb

Would leaf zone/ flourish comprehensive be sufficient for a tank this small? I was under the impression a tank this small wouldn't really cycle, was I misinformed?

Would leaf zone/ flourish comprehensive be sufficient for a tank this small? I was under the impression a tank this small wouldn't really cycle, was I misinformed?

It can be difficult but they can be cycled. Yes and Flourish Excel and you will be all set

Caleb

It can be difficult but they can be cycled. Yes and Flourish Excel and you will be all set

Caleb

Difficult how? I've never really had an issue??

Sure would, cycle it like any other tank.. just stock very carefully, things can swing fast in such a small system. A couple healthy wc's a week and great care should do you well..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My 6g has been cycled going on 4 years now without serious issue...power outages not included...

sit in silence...

Granted I've used seeded media, my smaller tanks have been pretty consistent. Think they're easier to crash if you slack on maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do 2-25%wc's weekly on the 6g&rinse filter media(using tank water of course)lightly once a week.. Took close to 5 weeks to cycle it after the initial setup..

sit in silence...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439084789.055070.jpg

Current state of the tank, excuse the tannins. I'm wondering if the fissidens I have will spread or will I have to add more and maintain the mat. I believe it is fissidens fontanus. Also, thoughts on planting the foreground with java moss? Thanks y'all.

Java moss has become overly intrusive in some instances,did you mean to say java fern?
Is so some narrowleaf java fern in the foreground on the rock clusters could look decent..

20L Mafia...

Java moss has become overly intrusive in some instances,did you mean to say java fern?
Is so some narrowleaf java fern in the foreground on the rock clusters could look decent..

20L Mafia...

There is a bolbitus fern in the back slowly starting to grow. I don't grow java fern oddly enough.... Would you think the fissidens would get enough light from the stingray at the bottom level? Guess I could try. I wouldn't want the java fern to cover the anubias in a couple years, lol

20L Mafia...

Just fully read your reply, java moss. :)

New odd inquiry. What if I took my stingray light, tilted it 15 degrees towards the back (makeshift shim it) and moved it more forward? My thoughts are that it would make the new anubias growth grow forward to the front view of the tank making it more show tank-y. I also want to shoot more light at the bolbitus fern all the way in the back. Thoughts?

Cha boi Jessie.

So I took the bolbitus fern out of the left corner, I got inpatient and put it in a medium tech tank. That frees that whole left corner up for something else. Does anyone know if the par ratings on the finnex stingray are enough to support medium light plants? Would y'all call the light low-medium? High end low? Thanks everyone for all the answers so far.

Cha boi Jessie.

A big sword would fill in that space nice IMO. Or maybe some kind of a crypt because we're in a smaller tank? Blyxa japonica looks awesome in my 5.5, if you can plant it there and make sure it isn't shaded it would look good as well. Grows fast in my low tech set up. Maybe a couple stems? I think the stingray is a medium-high light. I have the clip light and the normal one (the on you have) is comparable.

Back
Top Bottom