weird ammonia pattern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sambo7475

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi again,
I've a real oddball issue. My 55gal is fully cycled, has been since mid october. Gradually upped the stock over 6 weeks, until I added the last fish a few weeks ago (a dollar or so sized angel). I'm using the API master test kit, have gravel substrate, plastic plants, aquarium safe decorations (3 resin structures), a penguin 350B filter. I use prime for water treatment, and my tap pH is 8.0-8.2, no amm, no trites or trates after gassing out for 24 hours. My current stock is 12 serpae tetra, 2 juvenile silver dollars (about 2 inches), 3 albino cories, 1 dojo loach, 1 common pleco about 4 inches long, and now 1 angel. I know eventually I will be overstocked, but I got these fish before I knew as much as I do now, thanks primarily to reading this forum.
My params were good 0 amm, 0 nitrites, 10-20 trates from the time I started upping my stock until Dec 1, four days after I added the angel. for ease of copying I will use this format (amm/trites/trates/pH/actions taken).
11/27 params 0/0/20/8.4
12/01 params 2/0.25/20-40/8.2/50% PWC times 2
12/01 params 0.5/0/5-10/8.2/fish were really skittish, let them rest overnight
12/02 params 0.5/0/5-10/8.2/60% PWC
12/02 params 0.25/0/5/8.2/60% PWC again
12/03 params 0/0/5/8.2 - worked on 12/4 and 12/5
12/05 params 0.5/0/5/8.4/75% PWC
12/05 params 0/0/0/8.2
12/6 same
12/8 0.5/0/5/8.2/75% PWC
12/9 0-0.25/0/0-5/8.2/45% PWC
12/10 0/0/5/8.2
12/14 0.5/0/10/8.4

I am going to do another large PWC today, but I can't figure out why my ammonia keeps spiking like this. I cut the feedings down to everyother day, and when I vacuum, I'm only finding small amounts of food, mostly poop.
Is my BB not adequate to handle the bioload? One of the biowheels on the filter stops occasionally, if it's getting dry, could this be causing a BB die off?
Thanks in advance for any help you all can give.

An Angel is a large bio-load addition and it may take a short while for your bio-filter to catch up.

The bio-wheel stopping is not a good thing and is a common issue with Penguin filters. Keep the "bearings" and intake tubes clean.

Keep the ammonia at or below 0.25ppm. With your pH an ammonia reading of 0.50ppm is cause for caution.

I cleaned the "bearings" again today, and the filter tubes during the pwc. It hasn't seemed to help much with the biowheel rotation, it starts/stops pretty frequently, but still is rotating. Keeping a close eye on it today. Thanks for your help!
Also, angels are large bio load? I didn't realize that, dang.
Again, thanks for the reply.

Gave up on the penguin, went and bought an Aquaclear 110. Put the media from the penguin in with the media for the new AC. Hoping the BB transfers to that big gorgeous sponge and ceramic rings. i will continue to monitor daily readings, but after a 75% water change and starting the filter today, the reading are 0-0.25 amm, 0 nitrates, and 5 nitrates. Anything I can do to prevent a minicycle or make sure my aquatic friends have the best chance in this arrangement?

Sounds like you have a good handle on things.

Not much you can do to prevent a "mini-cycle", if it is going to happen, other than what you have already done. Test for ammonia and nitrite twice a day, don't bother wasting your nitrate juice though. Do an appropriately sized water change based on the test results.

Back
Top Bottom