Weird Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
Stats:
  • 36G Freshwater with Cascade 700 Canister Filter
  • Day 9 since setting up tank (tested during it's cycle, waited for cycle to complete, used Nutrafin Cycle and Seachem Prime)
  • Day 3 since adding first fish
  • Most recent: Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 5 (API Test Kit)
  • 3 Zebra Danios (unsure of sex or age)
  • No visible parasites (ich, cottony growths, change in fish color, eyes look ok, etc.)
  • Did a 30% water change yesterday
  • Fed the fish for the first time today (Tropical Flakes)(they went crazy for the food!)

Today for the past 5 hours 1 fish (and sometimes 2) have done something they haven't done since buying them - stayed in the corner, only wiggling enough to stay in one spot, even using their fins to swim backwards a little to stay in the corner under the plastic vegetation. These 2 are smaller than the 3rd, much larger Danio. The larger does most of the chasing/playing?, and the others do most of the getting chased.

I fed them for the first time today in the middle of that 5 hour period. All 3 have never swam faster for the food! Then the 1 smallest hid again in the corner.

I turned the light off at the end of those 5 hours, and the 2 came out from the corner almost immediately, then quickly went back to the corner, then out, then in, etc.

I've attached a couple of pictures that will hopefully help. Heck, maybe its just the bigger one is a male harassing the 2 smaller females too much?

Is this normal behavior?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 51
For others that find this thread, they have stopped this behavior. It seems some Danios are just more timid than the others. And/or they were simply resting.

Back
Top Bottom