Weird bug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Weird bug ?

I cannot get a picture , but these bugs are above waterline. Look like "mites' -so in the summer, if you look on window sil, and you see these grayish tiny TINY bugs crawling around.... That's what these look like in my tank. Above water line tho. What do you think they are ??

I have them too, like little black mini worms with tiny antenna feelers???

I once had those, they were jumping it seemed right on the surface. Not sure how they go there or how they left, maybe they became fish food I'm sure. I wouldn't worry.

Hi bkiggy, here's a couple of pics of bug's you get in the tank1396820162454.jpg
The first is a copepod (cyclops) they can jump and are seen above the surface.
1396820245733.jpg
The second is springtails they usually stay in the water and can jump about as well. Both are harmless and are fish food lol I have copepod in my tank but none of my stock eats them. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On the glass NOT in water. Antennae and leggs ... I wiped off glass with paper towel and it was black and they were crawling , and they can jump. But soooooooo tiny.

Maybe. These are on glass NOT in water. Wiped off glass with paper towel and they were moving. Looked like black dust. Oh, and can jump -
Freaked me out

Maybe. These are on glass NOT in water. Wiped off glass with paper towel and they were moving. Looked like black dust. Oh, and can jump -
Freaked me out

The copepod can sit above the water line on the glass maybe them? Try not to worry I'm sure the fish will enjoy them when they fall into the water!
Lesley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya whatever mine were.. I'd just sweep them in with my finger and fishies would chow..

Yeah. They have probably been in there for a lllooooooonnngg time and I never noticed. LOL

So I was wrong, I said I only saw these bugs on the glass- I saw them hopping or jumping on the surface of the water.
They are Soooooooo tiny, if I wasn't actually looking, it would look like bubbles breaking from filter. But that's it- they are moving on surface. Now I REALLY don't know what it is O_ó
Really doesn't look like any of the pictures .........

I've scooped one up in a cup by accident, it was bouncing and bouncing all over the place...

It was extremely tiny... I don't think they're harmful, they've been present in my tank for some time now... If anything I see them at the top eating flake food that got stuck to the rim, upper tank clean up detail and live snacks;) winnnn

Black, tiny, on the glass and floating/jumping at the surface, they are most likely spring tails. Harmless and viable food for fish.

I guess. My tanks are clean and I don't like weird unknown things..? Don't like bugs
I just reduced the amount of floating water lettuce in a bucket and they were jumping all over the place (in bucket) look like "black dots"

Yep springtails. Probably came in on your water lettuce. You can google aquatic springtails to see what they look like under a scope, but to the naked eye they are just tiny black dots. They consume debris and decomposing plant matter.

I hate jumping Bugs I'm afraid there going to jump on me get inside me my brain intestinal parasite whatever I'm just weird - I just read something on the Internet {I have to stay off the Internet} about brain eating amoeba now I'm all freaked out
- I understand free food I get it fish eat these guys but I really don't want them there

Definitely ON water surface and definitely jumping around. The only bug that does that is Springtails? Oh, and their yellow/orange ?

Back
Top Bottom