Weird Issue ....Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so while I was cycling my 10 gallon tank I guess my API (stick on glass) Ph monitor went out. I tested the Ph and it was 6.6 this morning (when my normal Ph is 8.0), (now to the weird part since almost everyone experiances ph drop) my cycled did not stall it actutally sped up. It went from taking 48 hours to convert 4ppm of Ammonia into NitrAte, to taking 24 hours. So the first of 2 question's. This is only my second tank cycling and I was trying to go by memory, but is it 12 hours it should take to convert 4ppm ammonia to NitrAte completly or 24? Second I was trying to wait till monday (while still feeding aquarium ammonia) to do my pwc because I think its cycled so that all my pwc are on same day, will i be ok with my ph at 6.6 to wait till monday or should i do one tonight to raise buffers back up?

On another note I want to wait atleast a week after cycled (to comfirm if it is cycled and see if all my pest are gone) to add fish. How often should i feed my bacteria ammonia and should it be the 4ppm I have been giving them to grow them nice and strong?? like i said i think the cycle finished (takes 24 hours to turn 4ppm ammonia completly into NitrATE). I just wanna treat the tank like a cycled tank for a week or to (water changes, lights on of cycle, temp down airstone out , etc.) except no fish just ammonia and bacteria to see how things go before i go spend money and honestly while i make some money to go get them.

For the first question, you cant really know how long it takes, its all an estimate. The thing is that it depends how much bacteria you have.
For the Second question, 6.6 is good for an empty tank, but depending on the fish, it might not be suitable for them, because it is a bit acid. If you leave the pH at 6.6, it will eventually drop even more. With the water changes, you should be able to bring it back up.
If you are sure that you are cycled, there is no point waiting another week, maybe a few days, just not to put too much ammonia in the water. You should test you're nitrate to know if it is too much, since it can be very toxic to fish. Ideally, 5-10 is good, under 20 is okay:)
If you want to wait a week, feed less then what you first fed to start it up. Too much ammonia can start a bacterial bloom, to little won't give enough resources to you're beneficial bacteria.

and i kinda have to wait a week like i mentioned because my closest fish store is 30 miles away and im broke atm about all i could do is maybe move my 4 endlers out of my 29 gallon community and add them in there after a few more days

Back
Top Bottom