Weird light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pretty tight on money until my new job starts and school starts for loans.. So in the meantime I'm looking for finding cheaper alternatives for normal tank stuff....

At Walmart they sell a plant grow light that would fit perfectly over my tank for only $12.... I'm not sure of the specs, I need to go to Walmart and check, I can't find it on there website...

Would a regular plant light work for a tank?

What size tank is it?

I use a regular desk lamp with a bulb found at most grocery stores. I'll look and see if I can find the box to get a picture for you. Its a cheap alternative

Hello Skiff...

Welcome to the "Tight Budget" Club. I don't think you can go wrong with standard florescent lighting. It's inexpensive and if you choose your plants wisely, you can have a nicely planted tank. GE carries a good aquarium plant bulb, that's just a few dollars at most of the hardware stores. They have all sizes and lengths.

I've used florescent lamps in my tanks for years and they last well over a year, before they need to be replaced.

B

Thank everyone! :) I think it's a fixture made from GE and it's a little over 30in long.... I've been really wanting a better light system.... Lol like a noob I went out a few months ago and bought plants, I had no idea what they are how how much light they need. And some are thriving and some are looking a little sick.....

I know for sure that I have
java moss
Java fern
And 6 unknowns lol.

I need to snap pics and get them identified so I can make sure I get enough light.
The tank is a 29g that they will be moved to in a week or two..... Will the light be able to get to the bottom?

Thank everyone! :) I think it's a fixture made from GE and it's a little over 30in long.... I've been really wanting a better light system.... Lol like a noob I went out a few months ago and bought plants, I had no idea what they are how how much light they need. And some are thriving and some are looking a little sick.....

I know for sure that I have
java moss
Java fern
And 6 unknowns lol.

I need to snap pics and get them identified so I can make sure I get enough light.
The tank is a 29g that they will be moved to in a week or two..... Will the light be able to get to the bottom?

Yes but you would need to run two. I have these lights growing different plants in my 10gallon and also my 29 gallon. The only problem is it isn't wide enough to light up the whole 29 so I have to use 2 bulbs. It may be cheaper to find an aquarium light and it will look a little nicer. The picture I sent is of the 10 gallon.

Yes but you would need to run two. I have these lights growing different plants in my 10gallon and also my 29 gallon. The only problem is it isn't wide enough to light up the whole 29 so I have to use 2 bulbs. It may be cheaper to find an aquarium light and it will look a little nicer. The picture I sent is of the 10 gallon.

The tank came with a light as well. It says full spectrum... I was planning on running the one that came with it and a Walmart one. Would that cover the width ok?

What size tank is it?

I use a regular desk lamp with a bulb found at most grocery stores. I'll look and see if I can find the box to get a picture for you. Its a cheap alternative

If you end up using a typical flouresent bulb, just be careful. Some of them will heat up your water, not just light it up.

Back
Top Bottom