Weird Little Worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
20g Freshwater planted community tank.

Just noticed a tiny little worm, white in color, about the size of a strand of hair, 1 cm in length, just inching along the glass where some algae has formed.

What the heck is this? Should I be concerned or watch in amazement? :)

-William

More likely a nematode, harmless scavengers for the most part. I see them in my shrimp tank and betta bowl occaisonally, the betta eats them when he spots one.

Well, no - its not a planaria according to the pictures I saw on wikipedia. Its not flat, about the diameter of a strand of hair, pure white, no distinguishable features to the naked eye. You see it move around on the glass kind of like an inch worm does. After I typed the post and went back to the aquarium, it was gone.

I fergit what they are exactly---I think a harmless leech---but if they are the same things I've had they won't hurt anything and are encouraged by overfeeding. I get them in tanks where I'm raising baby snails, as I intentionally feed those guys a lot! The size, color, diameter and inchworm-type locomotion are identical to what I had.

If this is what they are, then gravel cleans and cutting back on feeding will make 'em disappear very quickly.

plecoperson said:
I fergit what they are exactly---I think a harmless leech---but if they are the same things I've had they won't hurt anything and are encouraged by overfeeding. I get them in tanks where I'm raising baby snails, as I intentionally feed those guys a lot! The size, color, diameter and inchworm-type locomotion are identical to what I had.

If this is what they are, then gravel cleans and cutting back on feeding will make 'em disappear very quickly.

Thanks!

I think fish like them, as I get them only in fishless tanks. But I've just discovered they're very easy to siphon off the glass with some airline tubing. :)

Back
Top Bottom