Weird type of algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhiy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone know what this is and how to treat/rid of it?

Attachments

• image-2174855062.jpg
    image-2174855062.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3038774225.jpg
    image-3038774225.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 137
First is Cyanobacteria the second looks to be diatoms. Cyano is a bacteria caused by excess nutrients and lower flow. The diatoms a re a normal part if a new tank. They consume silicates in the tank and once they are gone the diatoms usually disappear. The only way to control cyano is more water changes, less feeding, and increase flow in effected areas. Hope that helps. :)

I added a powerhead, new lighting and 2 new fish in my 55g reef. It is 2yrs old and all of a sudden cyano and diatoms pop up. I've tried water changes and less feeding but it seems to be getting worse. Any advice to get rid of it?

Anyone know what I can add to my tank to make the sand white again?

Anyone know what I can add to my tank to make the sand white again?

aim your power heads more towards it

lots of water flow is your friend

it will go away in time your tank is still kind of young

more frequent WC will help some also

adding chemicals only masks issues causing more issues

a sand sifting conch will help to

every new tank goes through it

My tank is 2 yrs old though? Or is that still pretty young?

how big is your tank
how many power heads you have
how often you feed and what do you feed
I run 3 powerheads in my 37 bowfront
3 powerheads in my 40b which is still new and I'm getting cayno and diatoms but I also run a small plastic toy rake to circulate it once I add my stock it will get stirred up clowns are good for that
and just grab out any loose debris with the rake
also do weekly waterchanges and don't overfeed
my 37 gets it in dead spots but I get it raked daily
I don't dig just drag lightly over top sand to keep it looking good , I'm just anal about my tanks , I'm retired due to cancer so I have all the time in the world to work on my tanks
conch does wonders also I have 2 in each tank

I have 55g with 2 koralia 750 and 1 koralia 250. I feed once a day. Brine shrimp mixed with ova. I do a 8g water change every 2weeks.

I just added 8 red mangroves with leaves to try and help it out.

What kind of conch do u recommend? And how many for a 55g?

What kind of conch do u recommend? And how many for a 55g?

Strawberry conch are good. They're usually $10-15 at the LFS. You'd need a max of 2 for a 55g. It's recommended 1 per 2 sq feet of tank bottom. It will kinda depend on how much sand you have exposed, because they don't climb the walls or climb on top of rock, just clean the sand.

Back
Top Bottom