Weird white shrimp shaped thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw this weird thing in my rcs tank. The rcs were just added so one might have died. But I am not sure is this an exoskeleton from moulting or is this a dead eaten shrimp? My tank is heavily planted so most of the time I cannot see all 5 rcs at once. So I cannot be sure they are all still alive. What is this thing? Also the rcs keep hiding in the plants, when will they start becoming less shy and coming out?IMG-20170906-WA0006.jpg

It's an exoskeleton. It will either dissolve or be eaten (good source of minerals).
If there are fish in the tank, then that might cause them to hide. May depend on the fish, though Then again, when I had them in my planted tank (with embers and CPDs) they went all over place; unfortunately they eventually ended up in the canister filter.
When I started out, I had 5 RCS in a 20g and hardly saw them. Since then I've added about 40+ and along with breeding, I see them all the time.

But there are nothing in the tank apart from 5 rcs and some pond snails. Yet they are still hiding and even when I try to find them the most I can see is like 3 shrimp. Is this a passing stage as I just added them 2 days ago?

What are the parameters?
Like temp, pH, KH/GH, TDS and ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?

Too bright light???

Need more moss, DW and things for them to munch /feed off of. Aged mature things which have biofilm on them tend to give the little guys something to snack on.

As for parameters, I know I should get a test kit but can't as here in Singapore one costs like ~$65 (like what even?!) And as a student I can't really afford it. :(

Light I don't even have one, I just have a usb thingy that I plug in when I want to see the shrimp.

I have a lot of plants. (Java fern, anubias) will microfilm grow on that? And if it does will the shrimp just hide in it all day long?

So should I get like a few moss balls and put them in fromt?

Plants even moss balls need some kind of light. Daylight bulbs in the 6500-7500 K range will work in a desk lamp, clamp light, or even a table lamp is better than none.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom