Weird worm-like creature on surface of water, help ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It might be planaria. It's hard to see them well do they have small eye like dots at the front of their body? Google images of planaria and you can probably judge better.

I think it might be the larval/pupal form of a small, gnat-like fly. Keep an eye on it and see if it transforms into a flying insect.
Another guess is a small leach.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Remove it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think some type of insect larvae.. given the appearance of eyes at one end. NOT planaria, they don't look anything like this.

I have planaria in a tank at the moment they definitely have two white bumps that look like eyes without magnification

Planaria certainly do have eyespots, but they also have bodies that are completely opaque, unlike the pic shown, where the body is rather transparent.
Planaria rarely swim on the surface, though they probably can. They glide on the bottom or leaves or glass most of the time.
They also don't have a dark head, it's the same colour as the body is, which is usually a light tan or beige colour, again, nothing like the pic that's posted.

Check mosquito larva. If they swim with squiggly little s shapes, writhing its body that is likely what it is, and fish usually like to eat them. My Tetras love them. It might be a dragonfly damsel, you can check that but the head doesn't seem big enough.

Check mosquito larva. If they swim with squiggly little s shapes, writhing its body that is likely what it is, and fish usually like to eat them. My Tetras love them. It might be a dragonfly damsel, you can check that but the head doesn't seem big enough.

If you scroll down this page on the right side there is something that might resemble what you have. It is a variant of the pupae stage of mosquito. http://www4.uwm.edu/fieldstation/naturalhistory/bugoftheweek/mightymosquito.cfm
I've seen something like this in an old water fountain; very small (0.5 cm) and black. They would float and would wiggle slightly. The flies that would emerge were not Mosquitos. They were smaller, black gnat like flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom