Well, it's been a while. Here's Flame............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, for you guys and gals that have already seen Flame, here's current pictures of him. For those of you who are new here, he is a 15 inch Fire Eel. He was 2.5 inches when I bought him about 19 months ago. He's now broke the 15 inch mark, and still growing, eating 2 bloodworm cubes a couple days a week, and a single cube the other days of the week. The cost of the bloodworms is getting higher, and higher, and higher, lol, as I have to feed him more, and more, and more, LOL.

Also, in the pics you will also see some of his battle scars, lol. It's the battle between him and the Emperor 400 biowheel, when he goes in there during the day, lol. He may have beaten me, but I think the biowheel is beating him up, lol. This weekend I'm going to Lowe's to see about getting a long, 2" black PVC to put down behind the shipwreck for him, a nice and dark place to hide. Maybe that will help keep him out of the filter, lol.

Well, here he is on all his GLORY.......

55g68.jpg

55g69.jpg

55g70.jpg

55g71.jpg

55g72.jpg

55g73.jpg

55g74.jpg

55g75.jpg

55g76.jpg

55g77.jpg

55g78.jpg

55g79.jpg

55g80.jpg

55g81.jpg

55g82.jpg

55g83.jpg

55g84.jpg

55g85.jpg

55g86.jpg

55g87.jpg

wolf those are marvelous my friend, excellant camera work, I didn't know eels were that colorful actually, I figured more brownsihs for the most part, so how does he exactly get into the bio wheel filter?????? and why????? nice red finned shark too lol

Where the water comes out under the biowheel, he swims upstream into the filter compartment where it's dark, lol. See one of the last pics? The albino rainbow shark? He's the one that slapped me, lol.

Both the Rainbow Shark and the Albino Rainbow Shark are 5 inches, not including the tail. Well, the albino is just shy of 5 inches.

Gonna have to switch to feeding him prawns pretty soon or maybe red wigglers. Or maybe if you have enough of your aquatic earthworms.

Gonna have to try red wigglers again. Wouldn't eat them before, but he's much larger now. Worth the try. As for shrimp or prawns, won't touch them. He'll only eat brine shrimp only if it's mixed in with bloodworms, lol.

and.... I've seen them trained to be hand fed. Great fish.

8O What a fish! I've never really paid that much attention to eels before but that thing is awsome looking. Reminds me of the creature from a sci-fi movie that was on a few weeks ago called Basilisk.

BrianNY said:
and.... I've seen them trained to be hand fed. Great fish.

Yup, and mine also likes his head rubbed. Will come up to my fingers and let me rub his head.

lovemybarbs said:
He's amazing!!

So what is his max size??
44+ inches, and lives 20+ years (Max age is still unknown but this is just an estimate that I found online, but most places say unknown)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profiles/6_50_en.html

Lonewolfblue said:
eating 2 bloodworm cubes a couple days a week, and a single cube the other days of the week. The cost of the bloodworms is getting higher, and higher, and higher, lol, as I have to feed him more, and more, and more

i know what your saying, my BGKs are eatting more and more...

what are red wigglers, and where do you find prawn shrimp? im interested for my BGKs

Red wigglers are small earthworms. Usually the Petco here will carry them in the refrigerator. They just need to be kept cool and moist, they are live worms.

Also, at the lfs, in their freezer, you might find frozen Krill. It's a much larger food for bigger fish. I have some, and will be trying it for my eel to see if he'll take it. Also, shrimp and prawns from the frozen section in the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom