went to a creek today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you catch them a lot die.............I think it is the temperature change. I have a lot of experiance with this. I caught like 20 minnows, I brought them home. The water where I caught them was cold so I put them in my basement. The next day i had like only 7. They eventually died. I have one still, I have had it for about 1 year. And Tadpoles eat fish flakes, mine did, I had 7 and they grew like mad. :twisted: . They all ended up dieing in the change to a frog. I was so upset. I am pretty sure you must feed them vegitation, like lettuce. I saw a show about frogs, and a tadpoles food source is vegitation.

i know that the tadpoles eat stuff out of the hair algae. or eat the algae itself. imp retty sure on that.

i caught alot, but ive already lost like 1/4 my whole population

Yeah, I was also wondering about these clams--isn't it more likely that they are just freshwater mussles?

I was just curious.

well i thought mussles have like a irregular shell? these "clams" are just like the kind i bought in ebay. and they ahve like a 1/2 circle shell

greenmagi said:
Im pretty sure most wild crustaceans are crayfish in the northern part of the US..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, Macrobrachium ohione has been collected in Illinois.

krap101 said:
well i thought mussles have like a irregular shell? these "clams" are just like the kind i bought in ebay. and they ahve like a 1/2 circle shell

Key characters Relatively small, yellowish brown to black shell with numerous, evenly spaced, concentric, elevated ridges on the surface. Three cardinal teeth in each valve located below the umbo. Paired lateral teeth in each valve, two on each side of the umbo in the right valve, one on each side in the left. The presence of serrated lateral teeth separate Corbicula from the fingernail- clams.

Emphasis mine; from http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/cbd/musselmanual/page174_5.html (Corbicula flumina refers to the "golden Asian clam" - fingernail clams in question, on the other hand, are indigenous to North America, though their range overlaps that of introduced C. fluminea). If you have a dead specimen on hand, this could prove helpful.

Look to this map of C. fluminea's introduced range in the United States.

and my water is too murky to see around the vent. on one of the ones i bought i saw the lil "fingers"

HEY!!!
It's NOT ok to just go catch a bucket full of fish from a stream and bring them home if you don't have room for them in tanks! Just because they are "free" doesn't make it OK to bring home more than you are ready to keep, and have a bunch of them die.
Collecting is fine, but be prepared.
Get a reference book. I have the Peterson Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes, by Lawrence M. Page/Brooks M. Burr.
Take a couple buckets when you go. 1 bucket for stuff right when you catch it, and another bucket for what you want to bring home. Sort your catch while out by the stream, put back what you don't want. Put it back right where you caught it.
Only bring home creatures you are prepared to keep. Native stream minnows do NOT belong in your tropical tanks! The conditions are all wrong, and you will likely bring diseases and/or parasites into your tropical tanks.
I could go on for ages on this, but this is the most important:
http://www.nativefish.org/
This site is the BEST place on the web for learning about native U.S. species, collecting methods, tank keeping, RESPONSIBLY.

Sorry for the rant, Danny. I don't want to discourage you from interest in native species, but please, do your homework first.

hmm i asked before, and they said it would be okay if i had a 10 gallon ready. and it was cycled and i wasnt going to have anything for awhile so i decided to try it out

oh and its murky because i put some of their water in too not because of its a crappy tank

corvuscorax said:
Only bring home creatures you are prepared to keep. Native stream minnows do NOT belong in your tropical tanks! The conditions are all wrong, and you will likely bring diseases and/or parasites into your tropical tanks.
I could go on for ages on this, but this is the most important:
http://www.nativefish.org/

Hrmm... what about those of us who's natives are your tropicals? :) Just wondering, I'd have to go to S. Florida to find tropicals in the wild...

Although I do want to get a tank of N. Fla. natives going.. thanks for the URL...

id10t... they might have similar requirements as far as temperature goes but I still wouldnt mix them with commercial fish..
I would set up a tank for them..
Is there a reference to find out what natives live in your area of the country.. or better state or county?

i didnt mix them with commercial fish. fully native except the snail.

and will hydra hurt the fish? because i was looking and i saw hydra on a plant i brought home

krap101 said:
i didnt mix them with commercial fish. fully native except the snail.

and will hydra hurt the fish? because i was looking and i saw hydra on a plant i brought home

The hydra will only be able to eat fry, so if you have some I wouldnt advise it being in the tank with them.. was the area diry ie. bad water conditions?

no. i had some plants i found... i know it was a bad idea but i checked pretty good.

area= my tank? my tanks doing pretty good. the area=creek, it had soem major evaporation so the water level was low and the part i was mainly at was disconnected from the creek. and i took the plants out and put it in a floating breeder thingy in my native tank.

update: i havent lost many fish lately. the ones alive now are strong and are eating. i have confirmed with myself :p that i have 2 3 spined stickbacks? like 5 CAE type things without the suckermouth, and something like a danio in my tank. it is like a light brown with a dark brown stripe. they are eating the shrimp pellets i put in there and are nibbling on some flakes.

my crayfish is actually kind of green but ill just call him blue. this was my biggest find that day because while i was netting the fish, i brought up some hair algae and it was hidden inside. i tried looking the same way but this was the only one i could find. it is a baby.

also i have some tadpoles. didnt think of this but these can be my algae eaters until they get bigger. do i need to float something i there for them to be able to grow their lungs? i have a big wad of najas type things.

so.. its going pretty well imo

The collection area is what I was refering to so the creek.. sounds like the creek had bad water conditions in the area you collected it..
Ive read that the hydra is common in bad water conditions.. I dont know if It will survive good water conditions.. ie not enough waste to filter through to get food..

Frogs can breath through the skin on there bellies even when there adults and Im quite sure they develope there lungs under the water..

HTH :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

okay thanks.

ive identified my 2nd type of fish as some sort of dace. i may be wrong but it looks pretty close. now i need to try to identify the last fish. but im pretty sure im wrong because theres many fish who look like this

Back
Top Bottom