Went to LFS today, they had Electric Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grattu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Every time I see pictures of them online they're actually blue, but the ones that were at my LFS were white with a red and yellow face. Are they usually white when they're juvenile?

I wanted to buy a few but for $25 each I wanna make sure they're not BS first

Edit: also, would Rams and Oscars be good tank mates? I like both but I don't want to get them if it's going to be a problem

Every time I see pictures of them online they're actually blue, but the ones that were at my LFS were white with a red and yellow face. Are they usually white when they're juvenile?

Edit: also, would Rams and Oscars be good tank mates? I like both but I don't want to get them if it's going to be a problem

Oscars will definitely eat the rams once they are big enough. Rams are aggressive for community fish(guppies, tetra, etc) but mild when compared to most other cichlids. Plus they tend to be much smaller adults than most cichlids.
I'm certainly no expert on Rams in general but I know I've seen healthy young one's that are very blue. Most times when I've seen washed out one's it's from big chain stores where they are not very healthy and or stressed.
That's just my personal limited experience but maybe someone else can confirm for you.

That's a silly price for fish that small and washed out. You can google a few helpful things.
"Beautiful electric blue rams"- images
"Electric blue ram care/max size"
"Oscar care/maxsize"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a silly price for fish that small and washed out. You can google a few helpful things.
"Beautiful electric blue rams"- images
"Electric blue ram care/max size"
"Oscar care/maxsize"

This is the first time I've seen EBR at any store in my city. I agree, everything that's "rare" like these things are ridiculously marked up

Do you already have an Oscar?

4272fe01fd0ee9d46545e12d8470e8d0.jpg

They looked sort of like this, but even less blue

4272fe01fd0ee9d46545e12d8470e8d0.jpg

They looked sort of like this, but even less blue

They're nice looking fish. Theyre also kind of impossible to keep happy/alive haha. Oscars can reach 15".

They're nice looking fish. Theyre also kind of impossible to keep happy/alive haha. Oscars can reach 15".

I don't mind that, I just don't want to buy something that's going to eat these expensive EBRs lol

They wouldn't stand a chance haha

I don't mind that, I just don't want to buy something that's going to eat these expensive EBRs lol

Oscars will actually eat live mice as adults(although I find that feeding option to be outside my cruelty comfort zone). Anything slightly larger than their mouths with fins, legs, or otherwise will become a meal very soon after hitting the water. In my experience with Oscars they tend to be aggressive eaters versus most African cichlids which tend to be territorial chasers and fin nippers/murderers.
My guess would be that if you added a small juvenile oscar and adult blue rams, the rams might actually harass the oscar for about a year or so, after which you would wake up one random morning to a single oscar surrounded by sparkly blue glitter water.

Those are a variant of the German Blue Ram. Gold Rams are also variants of the GBR. I personally would tell you to go with GBR's as they have not been messed with genetically. I originally had Gold Rams until I learned this, and then switched to GBR's and never looked back. They are by far my favorite fish. SO much personality, and I have even trained mine to do hand commands.

I agree the picture is not 'regular' EBR but more 'powder' or they say gold head.
I am working on crossing good GBR with good EBR to see what gives.
I breed both and sell both.
$50 at LFS is top dollar often 'regular 'EBR are $40
I am listed on aquabid in the apisto section now with rams for sale....
Those are good looking fish ,but they will not get dark electric blue.
Right in the middle of your two fish choices lies the middle..
EBA.....:whistle:

Bandit. You devil you...

Attachments

• 1487102449667.jpg
    1487102449667.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 93
Bandit. You devil you...

I figured my EBA look like my EBR but have a 'mini' Oscar thing going.
They aren't Sallies ,but mine are still girly fish!:whistle: Yah sort of Sallies ,but not compared to the 'butterfly' cichlid...

In all seriousness MY EBR rock the nation right now if you are seriously looking...:whistle:
My listings beat every ones prices...

I figured my EBA look like my EBR but have a 'mini' Oscar thing going.
They aren't Sallies ,but mine are still girly fish!:whistle: Yah sort of Sallies ,but not compared to the 'butterfly' cichlid...

In all seriousness MY EBR rock the nation right now if you are seriously looking...:whistle:
My listings beat every ones prices...

Can you post pictures? I'd love to see

These are a pair of my breeders that just sold recently.

They are the parents of the fish I am selling now.
These are the fish hatched November 2016.

Loose in tank

**** those are beautiful, I want Rams that have that deep blue color

Wait a minute, did Grattu say what type of cichlids are already in the tank? If not, what type are in the tank already? That is super important to clarify as there are other types of cichlids around (yes I mean the African type).

Also, Coralbandit, nice work. You have dream fish.:brows:

Back
Top Bottom