Wet/Dry Canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeO88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was browsing marine depot and came across this.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium...nal_professionel_wet_dry_external.asp?CartId=

Any advice on how well that preforms? Or should I stick with my original choice of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

The one from ebay comes with a prefilter and pump where as this does not. At this point in my aquarium life I am staring at an empty tank with nothing attached yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Mike

Mike,

That ProClear will give you all the versatility you will want to have a pristine environment for your fish. I have noticed many people tend to stay away from the comments about eheim canister wet/dry filters. "If there was EVER a CHOICE" no question about it...go for the ProClear! It includes the pump, the skimmer, and the bio balls. The drawback to a wet/dry is monthly maintenance after the first 3-4mos of breaking it in.

IMO the ProClear wins without a question.

Trameltanz,

What is the monthly maintenance on the ProClear? I'm just about to set up a PrClear Pro 75 for my 46gal FOWLR.

Some aquarists recommend removal of the bio balls and filling the compartment with LR rubble instead. I bought about 10lbs of rubble but will probably need more if no bio balls are used.

lando has the info on the live rock rubble setup.

The maintenance is a monthly thing where you dig out about a quarter of the bioballs and gently was them in saltwater. This helps keep the nitrifying bacteria under control. You might also need to siphon the bottom of the proclear of the physical matter that accumulates and change/clean the pads every 6 months.

The theory behing the live rock rubble is to dramatically increase the amount of "good" bacteria to keep down on the maintenance. Technically you can run your tank off of live rock and a protein skimmer. This setup is very effective! Reef tanks have run for years on this type of setup!

Thanks lando and Roka for the referral status ahead of time! *wink*

the key thing with bio-balls is to have a prefilter and keep the particle waste out of the balls. they will need little to no cleaning and will have as much good bacteria as rubble rock if not more with the added surface area provided with the balls. also instead of ruble rock try maybe lava rock or something with a lot of holes and added surface area.

Back
Top Bottom