Wet/Dry filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fasted64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 1 50 gallon acrylic salt water aquarium.
I am converting it from a general saltwater fish tank to a reef tank. I am changing the old 15 year old under gravel filter to a wet/dry filter.

I would like a recommendation on a filter.
I have been looking at 2 models.
The Eheim 2227 and the Clear Aquatics (formerly Aqua Clear Aquatics) Pro 75 Wet/DryFilter

Each looks to have advantages and dis-advantages. The Eheim claims better biological filteration and have a reputation for quality products. The Clear aquatics however, has a built in skimmer and I can place my heater inside as well.

Can anyone help me with any advice? If anyone has any better ideas, I welcome them.

Also, with a reef tank and a wet/dry filter, will I need a seperate filter to filter regular insoulable matter or will the wet/dry filter do it all? :?

I have the Aqua Clear Pro 200(?) wet/dry for my 120. So far I have nothing but good things to say about it. I've removed about 1/3 of my bio balls and my nitrates (after 3mo of activity) have remained 0. Not a particularly long track record, but a good one none the less, lol. I have 110# of LR in my tank right now and the wet/dry with the filter floss and 2/3 of the bio balls. I don't need anything else so far (lightly stocked tank, feeding every other day). The clams and porcelain crabs and feather dusters that came on my LR.com order do their best filtering act (combined with the spews of junk emitted by other rock dwellers over the coarse of the day). I have crystal clear water.

I have a Pro Clear Aquatics System 150 wet/dry sump. I have removed all of thebioballs and replaced them with LR rubble. It has a built in skimmer and seems to work just fine. I am very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom