What’s going on here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Baker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have 4 powder blue dwarf gourami’s and 1 has died and another one is sick ... please advise ..
IMG_2475.jpg

I always had issues with dwarf Gourami's. The picture looks like it had tail rot that extended into the body..... body rot?

Is there any way to treat this.. the other 2 look fine. Should I be worried for the rest?

There's medication for fin rot. You can also use aquarium salt. Sometimes doing more frequent water changes and keeping the water pristine will allow the fish to heal.

Fin rot is opportunistic. It's a disease or fungus that can set in from a torn fin or it's caused by poor water conditions. Once the rot spreads to the body you can't save the fin and the disease goes into the body and the fish succumbs to the disease.

If your other fish look healthy that's good. Make sure your water is pristine. Bad water conditions creates a host of problems for fish.

So it could be possible if another aggressive fish bit off some of the tail it sparked this .. it happened quick , with in 24 hours of me getting this fish from LiveAquaria.

No I don’t think so..
Question is will this spread to the other fish ?
I separated the aggressive fish to a different tank..

This is a mistake I won’t make again.

Fin rot is not contagious.....but the underlying condition that triggered the fin rot could also affect the other fish. In your situation you believe an aggressive fish damaged the tail of your Gourami......he then develops deterioration of his tail from disease. I think your correct in removing the aggressive fish.

I’ll keep a close eye on the rest of the fish and go from there .. I hope the little guy survives . We’ll soon find out ..

Back
Top Bottom