What 2nd filter should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I already have a hang-on-back filter, the Marineland Penguin 150 B Bio-Wheel power filter. It's meant for 30 gallons, and my tank is 29 gallons. I have just discovered about the little white lies that filters like to say about the gallons it is "suited" for. So I'm thinking of buying a second filter, but would like recommendations from the experienced.

Should I just get a smaller filter to make up for what my current filter isn't filtering? Like maybe 10 or 20 gallon filter? Or should it be the same as my current filter, 30 gallons? Or should it be more than 30 gallons?
And should I get the same brand of filter, Marineland Penguin? Or does that not matter?And should the second filter also be another hang-on-back? Or should it be something else? Or does it not matter either?

The brand doesn't matter. It could be either another HOB or canister.
What do you plan to stock your tank with? The type and number of fish will affect how much filtration you need and how much flow is best.

I plan to keep 4 male Platies, a school of 9 Cherry Barbs, and 9 Amano Shrimp.

The bio wheel should be pretty sufficient for that stockage then. I would still suggest another hob. I like aquaclears personally. Expensive cartridges dont have to be bought and you can really put in what you want/need. In some tanks i just have sponges and bio max. Others with purigen and filter floss with less sponges. Only complaint about them is that ive had a lot of problems with the impeller shafts getting worn down and making a lot of noise. Now i make sure to lube the impeller up with vaseline everytime theyre cleaned

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Just get another then you can share filters and only need to remember what you are already buying.

If you want something better I like the Fluval C4 for a canister I would highly recommend the Cobalt EXT canister, its really cool.

You can cut blue-bonded pads to fit most HOB filters to reduce replacement costs.
Rinse in tank water during water changes and reuse.

Tank Filtration

I plan to keep 4 male Platies, a school of 9 Cherry Barbs, and 9 Amano Shrimp.

Hello An...

Just change the tank water a little more often. The water change does far more for the tank than another filter.

B

What about sponge filters? I'm hearing they are really useful and cheap? Are they worth it? I don't remember seeing any in Petsmart though. But I can check some local fish stores that I've found recently.

Theyre pretty good but not as visually pleasing. If its a display tank I personally wouldnt run one. In my fishroom those are all i run. They are cheap work well and easy to use. I bought all mine on drs foster and smith but they have them on amazon and ebay as well. Just be sure to realize how big they are. When i was looking on amazon they had a lot that were 3 bucks and i was gonna get a bunch until i realized they were 3 inches tall and an inch wide. You can also diy them. On youtube there are a lot of videos showing how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I prefer an aquaclear 30. These HOB filters have very great filtration and only uses 6 watts (if that matters lol).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok, I guess I'm getting convinced for another hob, possibly an Aquaclear like various of you have said. So should it really be a another filter for 30 gallons, even though my current one is also 30 gallons? Two 30 gallon filters in one tank?

Ok, I guess I'm getting convinced for another hob, possibly an Aquaclear like various of you have said. So should it really be a another filter for 30 gallons, even though my current one is also 30 gallons? Two 30 gallon filters in one tank?
Yeah it wont hurt, you could even go bigger I had my Fluval C4 (40-70g) on my 20g and now on my 29g.

Again tho, 1. why wouldn't you just get another Marineland and 2. Check out Fluval C's before going with a AC, AC's aren't bad just second to the newer C's IMO.

Yeah it wont hurt, you could even go bigger I had my Fluval C4 (40-70g) on my 20g and now on my 29g.

Again tho, 1. why wouldn't you just get another Marineland and 2. Check out Fluval C's before going with a AC, AC's aren't bad just second to the newer C's IMO.
Oh, I'm reading about the Fluval C series you recommended. They seem really cool too. But it also says that they have 5 stages of filtration, including 1 for AC. So doesn't that mean it's an AC filter too?
And the reason I thought I'd get an Aquaclear instead of another Marineland Penguin was cause I thought the Aquaclear was better than the Marineland. But, honestly, I have no idea what to do. XD

Oh, I'm reading about the Fluval C series you recommended. They seem really cool too. But it also says that they have 5 stages of filtration, including 1 for AC. So doesn't that mean it's an AC filter too?
Huh? Hagen is the parent company and makes AC and the Fluvals.

And the reason I thought I'd get an Aquaclear instead of another Marineland Penguin was cause I thought the Aquaclear was better than the Marineland. But, honestly, I have no idea what to do. XD
Ohhh, your reading to far into the "better", they both have a magnetically powered impeller and push water threw a filter medium and back into the tank. The reason the AC's and C's are "better" is you can make your own filter bags (use purigen instead of carbon etc.) because the chemical filtration is just a bag, any bag with "stuff" in it will work, and also it is easy to remove this bag for medical treatments without removing the other mechanical and biological filtration media. Also the AC's and C's have more biological filter media than most power filters but the Penguins have the Bio wheel so that's better than nothing or just an extra sponge like the Whispers.

All filters really only have 3 "stages" mechanical (even if you have 3 different layers of mechanical filtration its still mechanical filtration, then chemical, your activated carbon or purigen (some people don't even run this all the time) and last area for beneficial bacteria to grow or a biological filter, the same bacteria will grow in the tank substrate and on decorations and stuff but may not get enough flow and the more area for bacteria to grow the better.

AC's have a 3 tiered, IMO flimsy, basket that every thing stacks in, the C's, again IMO are pretty much the same but laid out better and the bio media sits in its own trickle chamber.

I do wish they would make a C5 to compete with the AC110 and my C4 isn't wide enough to fit on my 150g tank with 1/2 glass but that shouldn't be an issue unless you have a huge tank.

Yes get another 30 gallon rated filter. I run a fluval 406 on my 29 gallon and its rated for 100 gallons. Generally you want to double filter your tank.

Huh? Hagen is the parent company and makes AC and the Fluvals.
OH WAIT. I'm sorry. I didn't get what you meant by AC. It had dotted lines under it, so I hovered over it, and it said activated carbon, and I though that's what you meant. Ok, I get it all now. XDDD

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407213082.767738.jpg guys do this look ready

Oh I mean like does it look like it's finish cycling or bout to

Lol you cant tell if its cycled by just looking at it. I would say to start your own thread about it. Say how long its been running, equip, etc

Back
Top Bottom