What additional test kits do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was reading an article about phosphates and algae and started to think if phophates are something I should be testing for. I currently have the AP master test kit (pH, NO2, NO3, and NH3/NH4). Do I need to get additional tests, and if so, which ones?

10g planted, 1.5wpg 5000K, 12:12 light cycle, 2" ecocomplete w/ 1" tahitian moon sand.
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 15
pH 7.4

If your tank is planted, it is a good idea to have a phosphate kit. If you are injecting CO2 the a Kh test is needed as well.

Agree with Rich, phosphate, Kh, and maybe Gh. AP master kit used to come with those last two, and no NO3 kit, but they apparently swapped things around a little.

Sad, because non-planted tank people don't really need NO3, and should in fact know thier Kh and Gh.

*shrugs*

Need? ...hmmm.

Probably not, but I'd strongly encourage getting them. Kh is a measure of your alkalinity, and it should remain constant. If you saw a sudden drop in Kh, it signals bad things, and can also be VERY stressful for the fish.

Gh is slightly less important, unless you have any desire to breed fish. Many fish will only breed when water parameters like Kh, Gh and pH are in a specific range.

And some fish, like TravisSimonson's cichlids, really do better in a high Gh/Kh environment because that mimics their natural waters. His fish are healthy and vibrant because they feel very comfortable in the tank, due to its layout and its high water hardness.

At times like these I think someone with the capital to make a Planted Aquarium test kit -- NO3, PO4, KH, pH, GH, and maybe Ca or Mg -- would clean up.

Iron is a good kit to have on a planted i have noticed, especially if you are heavily planted. just wanted to put in my two cents worth

Back
Top Bottom