What am I missing? Filterless betta tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

I've looked at several sites about filterless tanks and still find myself confused, so hopefully someone here can advise!

The Inspiration: I have a beautiful male betta with long delicate fins who seems completely unable to deal with any current. He is in a 10g tank and even with the filter on the lowest flow setting he seems blown about and lurks in the "underbrush" constantly. He is a gentle personality and although I haven't seen him being nipped at by his lamp-eye killifish tankmates, I also wonder if he feels intimidated by them. All of my betta's are in 10-20 g tanks with filters and carefully monitored tank-mates, but his behavior has made me wonder if he would do better in a filterless tank.

The possible set up- i have an old 3 gallon tank that I could set up as a small filterless tank, heavily planted.

****DISCLAIMER**** due to Tristan's tissue paper fins, if I am not able to maintain pristine water quality for him, I will not do this. No Betta will be harmed in the making of this filterless tank!

So I set up my little tank with sand from another tank I was taking down and put in a bunch of healthy plants - water wisteria, compacta, floating anacharis, and some kind of dwarf hair grass stuff. I have a light with cf 25watt bulb for lighting... it looked beeeeyoootiful on the first day. Day two all the plants start melting. I also have a little rinky-dink filter for small tanks which though it has filter media in it, seems to be little more than a glorified air stone.

Stoopid question #1: do you need to add Prime to a cycling tank with only plants in it?

#2: If I plan on going completely filterless, should I remove the filter altogether, or leave it for water movement?

#3: In reading up on the Walstad tank method, it suggests using a soil substrate, or soil capped with sand, etc. Is this required, or will just sand be ok for a filterless tank with plants?

#4: When cycling a filterless tank, how often do you change the water? Seems like the dead plant matter might be providing enough ammonia to keep a cycle moving a long??

If you have made it this far into this post, thank you! From some descriptions of the waltsad tank method it sounds like you set up the tank and throw the fish in and all is good to go on day one. But I love my Tristan and don't want to subject him to a stressful situation. I tested the water for ammonia on day one and two and both days had 0.25-0.5 ppm ammonia readings. I just think I must be missing a vital part of the equation!

thoughts? advice? please and thank you!

Sorry I didn't make it through your whole post but yes to using prime even just with plants, tap water has chlorine and chems in it to kill bacteria, so if you don't use it the chems will kill all your bacteria and therefore resetting your cycle back to day one.

I believe it's possible and I'd personally try to use the "glorified airstone" filter. lol I love that description. It doesn't need to be a great filter to help detoxify the water for a single fish.

Always dechlorinate all the water used in a fish tank. Chlorine is used to kill bacteria. Cycling is all about culturing bacteria.

You can try whatever substrate you normally use for plants. Soil is great but nearly any substrate will grow some types of plants.

Water changes will not be optional. Just to be clear, he'll need them for survival, and it sounds like that's your objective. My opinion is he'll do okay.

Have you tried or considered using a sponge filter with him? Also 25 watts of CFL over a 3 gallon is way too much light.

Great advice and suggestions everyone! Thank you!
Is 11 watts cfl better or still too much?

And here is what Tristan thinks of his new home! First bubble nest I've seen him do in a long time!

image-49449013.jpg

I think the 11watt bulb would be fine to try. Plants need a certain intensity of light energy to grow and that would be a good bulb to start with as long as it's a "daylight".

I think it's so funny that bettas are sometimes called fighting fish while yours doesn't even like to fight water current. He's like a betta version of Gandhi or the Dali Lama.

CorallineAlgae said:
I think the 11watt bulb would be fine to try. Plants need a certain intensity of light energy to grow and that would be a good bulb to start with as long as it's a "daylight".

I think it's so funny that bettas are sometimes called fighting fish while yours doesn't even like to fight water current. He's like a betta version of Gandhi or the Dali Lama.

Lol! I'll call him the Betta Lama!

You could also use an under gravel filter

Gold said:
You could also use an under gravel filter

True, it'd be great for the betta but it's not the best idea with live plants. That makes it tricky. A mini-sponge filter would be easier to keep clean and still work for both.

I'm wandering about the filter you already have OP. Can you describe it? I was thinking it was a little plastic corner filter or something similar. If so it should be fine. It really doesn't need to be anything fancy to keep him perfectly healthy. For decades breeders have used corner, sponge and undergravel filters to breed and safely care for millions of fish. The best store (by far) in my area uses only sponge filters for their livestock tanks and out of 5 main fish retailers around their fish are the only ones that stay healthy. They even breed much of what they sell right in the store.

You could keep the plants in a pot in the tank so cleaning would just be pull out and go.

if you worry about currents affecting your fish... how bout RUGF? reverse under gravel filters... just run it backwards...

Otaku521 said:
if you worry about currents affecting your fish... how bout RUGF? reverse under gravel filters... just run it backwards...

Woah! I've never even heard of that!

So far this is the only Betta I've had who really doesn't like any movement at all - but I will look into a small sponge filter and try that. I think the brand name for the little filter is "jankety jank jank filter". If I remember correctly it is rated for 1-3 g tanks. It runs with an air pump. I'm not even sure why I got it except that the LFS doesn't have any nano filter selection and I was curious.
I'll check out small sponge filters next! Thanks!

Jankety jank jank filter? Sounds like a name I would use if I were going to design a filter.

Back
Top Bottom