What an anticlimax !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filbey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I spent all day next to my tank waiting for my heavily preggers guppy to drop... No joy...
Woke up this morning no fry and Shes skinny again!!! Missed it!!! Grrrrr!

Also on looking for fry found a tiny spore looking thing on a plant leaf and 1 small snail :s will post pics later but should I take the imposter snail out??

ok so heres a phot of the offensive snail...

also the spore (OR WHATEVER IT IS) was too far away to get a photo of with my crap camera but it looks like a small bubble covered in small white bubbles!!! is this a snail egg?? i have guppies and 4 male cherry barbs so it cant be a fish egg!!

as always any help is appreciated!!:pimp:

:D

Attachments

• IMGP0139.jpg
    IMGP0139.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 101
Those are pond snails....and will become a serious annoyance if you dont get rid of it, had to get some assassin snails to help keep those in check. They multiply like crazy and yup, those jelly like bubble...are those eggs, normally stuck to plants or even the glass.

I got the snails in my tanks from the FW plants I have in there, I forgot to wash them with salt solution when I got them, surely would have washed out most of those critters if I did it in the first place.

As for Guppy babies.....dont worry you not the first....with mine I noticed the pop early mornings, last Saturday my guppy gave birth, managed to save 11 or 12. Now a week old in their aquahome and growing well!

I've got those in my tank. They hitchhiker in on some plants. To my knowledge, they are pond snails. They eat the algae from the glass on my tank, so I've left them in there :) I don't know about aquatic snail eggs, but land snail eggs are like White round jelly beads, about 1-2mm diameter, so it could be snail eggs you've got.

Sorry about your fry loss, theres always next time.

If you have "pest" snails in your tank, they will sustain a population based on the amount of food available to them. If you find the population increasing, then you are feeding too much. MTS and pond snails should be able to live in a tank and not turn into an infestation.

But if they do start over populating, You could get a single assassin snail to get rid of them.

Snails aren't hard to control. Remove what you see at first and keep the tank clean.

I like the sound of an assassin snail!! I took the one snail and one egg I found out but will monitor the tank as I'm sure there will be more eggs I've missed!!

Would shrimp be a better cleaner??

I like the sound of an assassin snail!! I took the one snail and one egg I found out but will monitor the tank as I'm sure there will be more eggs I've missed!!

Would shrimp be a better cleaner??s

Back
Top Bottom