What are fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish.OG87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just set up my 36g planted aquarium with eco complete and wanted to add fish, preferably a community tank. I want to get a pair of cichlid and a school of some other fish, but im a newb and need help. Please help me decide what i shud get, thanks.

A pair of rams and a school of neons or cardinals, along with some cories would be my choice... but what I like isn't always what others like.

thx for your feedback, if i got a school of neons and a school of cories along with the pair of rams wud that be too much ya think?? and btw whats considered a school 5-6?

Pigeonfood said:
thx for your feedback, if i got a school of neons and a school of cories along with the pair of rams wud that be too much ya think?? and btw whats considered a school 5-6?

My understanding is that most schooling fish require a minimum of 5 members. I have 9 neons, 7 red eye tetras and 8 Glofish/leopard danios. They all stick together and are fun to watch. Mfdrookie has a great idea adding the cories and a ram. That way all levels of the tank have activity, and a ram or dwarf gourami can serve as your centerpiece fish.

so for a 36g tank....6 cories 5 neons 2 rams and a dwarf gourami, wud that be too crowded you think??

There's a site called aqadvisor. Type in your tank size, type of filter and the fish you intend on having. It tells you your filtration capacity and stocking percentage. This site is in no way totally accurate, but can give you a good idea on where your stocking level is. What I like is it shows the correct pH, temperature and hardness range to make sure your fish are compatible. Again, don't consider that site as accurate...but if it says your way below capacity, you should be good to go.

eco23 said:
There's a site called aqadvisor. Type in your tank size, type of filter and the fish you intend on having. It tells you your filtration capacity and stocking percentage. This site is in no way totally accurate, but can give you a good idea on where your stocking level is. What I like is it shows the correct pH, temperature and hardness range to make sure your fish are compatible. Again, don't consider that site as accurate...but if it says your way below capacity, you should be good to go.

I never can figure that site out. I don't get how to add the fish you want.

For example, I've got a 48 gallon with the fish I listed above...aquaadvisor tells me it's only 65% full which is hard to believe that since it seems like so many small fish swimming in my tank. I would never stock it all the way up, but when I type in the cories and ram I want, it tells me I'm at 82% which is low enough to make me feel comfortable.

Homedog98 said:
I never can figure that site out. I don't get how to add the fish you want.

Just left click on the fish in the scroll down list, then in the window in the middle of the screen type the number of that species you want and click add. It took me a minute to figure out too, lol.

eco23 said:
Just left click on the fish in the scroll down list, then in the window in the middle of the screen type the number of that species you want and click add. It took me a minute to figure out too, lol.

Oh... Gracias!

Ok the fish i mentioned above i went to that AqAdvisor site and here are my results:
AquStockImage.php
Also it said this:
Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Ugh.....what can i do to replace one of those or which should I replace??

cos i am am the biggest newb when comes to aquarium business... i figured it wud be funny to put that as my heading. lol

Btw eco23...FC Barca?? really?? glory hunter much [moderator edit]??

Last edited by a moderator:
Pigeonfood said:
Btw eco23...FC Barca?? really?? glory hunter much lmao??

I don't know who you follow, but I just had to tell one of my buddies not to be mad just because his club hasn't won a Euro Cup since 1982, lol I actually just got into soccer back at the 08 Olympics when I saw Messi play. I didn't care who he played for at the time...that was the club I was gonna follow. Turns out Iniesta is as much of my fav as Messi now...plus my wife has a crush on Pique for some reason, lol.

*BTW, I'm American if you couldn't tell...we call it soccer for some stupid reason, makes no sense.

I try to follow aleast one team from each major football country, and barca is my spanish team, but all my heart goes into supporting Leeds United and english team which used to be the team everyone wanted to beat back in the 80's even in europe, since then they have fallen apart and have been on the up for like the last 3-4yrs trying to establish themselves as Europes best. side note....which is the best power filter available for a 36g, is it true u shud get a filter that filters 4 times what ur tank is??

The bigger the better. I've got an EX70 HOB (hang on back) filter on my 48 gallon which is rated for a 70 gallon tank. If you've got a few extra dollars, get a canister filter like a Fluval that has ceramic media inserts. But you definitely want to go above and beyond your tank size as high as your wallet allows. BTW, I try to follow a team from each league too, I'm trying to stick with Everton right now (cause of Tim Howard), but as far as picking a MLS team...I rather watch a middle school kick around...that league is embarrassing, especially after watching the big boys.

american football (mls) is brutal, my little 5 yr could play better than those no offense....rejects. You have to remember Im a newb when it comes to the aquarium...whats the difference in a canister filter than a power filter and also are canister filters hard to use?? Right now i dont think i cud buy a canister, but for ones that hang on back any suggestions? Maybe the one you got?

Unless it's a huge tank with a big bio-load (a lot of fish) it really doesn't matter what type of filter. It's about the GPH (how many gallons it filters in an hour) and the type of media (actual filters) you use. The key is to NEVER use the carbon cartridges that come with the filters that you're supposed to replace every month. Those things are bad news, it's a money making tactic to get you to buy something every month and it causes your tank to become extremely unstable and unhealthy.

BTW, how are you gonna cycle your tank? Do you know about cycling? It's the single most important thing you'll ever do with your tank. I can really help you with that if you go with a fishless cycle... it's the only way to go in my opinion.

Well its going to be a planted aquarium so idk if that wud influence anything about the type i wud need. the carbon cartridges im kinda confused on, i got a white thing cartridge i put in my filter is that wat ur talkin about? If it is, what am i supposed to fill the filter with? The fishless cycling I think i got it covered, i think anyways lol

Back
Top Bottom