what are probes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13UZZ1NG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi ive started researching saltwater tanks just wondered what probes are do I need probes, if I do need them wheres the best place for them in the sump? Thanks

Two kinds of probes, those used to ground the tank from stray voltages (something you probably don't need) and probes that connect to devices that measure Ph and other tank values.

The sump works fine for placement.

For a cost conscious system, they are not necessary. Test kits can tell you what you need to know about water quality. If you ever buy a computer to run the system, there will be probes associated with that equipment .

Ok thanks wonder if you could answer another question for me in my sump I will be having a refugium with macro algae I think thats what im thinking of its the green thin curly stuff lol sorry cant rember if thats the proper name for it anyway what do I put in the refugium with it couple of bits of live rock and do I use live sand to hold it down or is there better stuff to use

Yes thats the stuff do I not put any live rock in there with it then and no bed

It's up to you. I would have live rock in the sump with the chaeto. I am not a follower of sand beds in sumps. I know it works for many people, I just elected to go a different way.

Gregcoyote said:
It's up to you. I would have live rock in the sump with the chaeto. I am not a follower of sand beds in sumps. I know it works for many people, I just elected to go a different way.

I need to remove the sand bed in my refugium. Thought it would be nice to have but i was wrong

Nothing went wrong persay, but running a bare bottom sump/refugium makes it alot easier to clean and maintain

Oh I thought a refugium was another place to houses all the little critters that might get eaten in the display tank

Oh I thought a refugium was another place to houses all the little critters that might get eaten in the display tank
It is, hence the "refuge" ium name. I just don't like the idea of sand in there because 1) it isn't necessary for critters to live, (at least fish-food bound critters) and 2) it's just another place that could trap nutrients

Back
Top Bottom