What are the best liquid additives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

six2sevenproductions

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so i always assumed the additives were all the same since the element itself is what you are adding such as calcium is calcium so how could another brand be better.

I keep hearing that Salifert additives are the best and up and coming. There are only two stores that i have seen carrying the salifert line of additives, one being vivid aquariums in canoga park. If you're from so cal you know this is the best coral store and the employees say they use bright well for the store but prefer salifert. Has anyone used salifert products?

Nope sorry I don't add anything to my aquariums really. I believe my water changes keep my levels stable enough. I also don't think I've ever seen the Salifert additives anywhere.

Maybe someone else can chime in who uses additives :)

The best additive you can add is PWC`s. That`s all I`ve added for almost 13 yrs now. All essential elements are in your Marine salt mix.

I use Kent Marine's Liquid Reactor once a week for calcium dosing. And Kent Marine's Coral Accel once a week. And Kent Marine's Coralvit once a week. This has been working for me for three years. I basically dose all at once on a Saturday morning, when the lights are off. They tell me that the PH raises with the calcium dose so the with the lights off the PH stabilizes. Because normally with the lights off the PH drops.

it's a waste of money buying those kent products. if you actually need to supplement your calcium, alk, and mag, bulk reef supply is much cheaper. you can buy many times the amount there for pennies on the dollar.

I'll have to agree, bulkreefsupply has the best additives for me (alk, cal, mg, gfo, carbon, etc) because it saves me some money and seems to be high quality ingredients. Lets keep the thread on track.

Ok so i always assumed the additives were all the same since the element itself is what you are adding such as calcium is calcium so how could another brand be better.

I keep hearing that Salifert additives are the best and up and coming. There are only two stores that i have seen carrying the salifert line of additives, one being vivid aquariums in canoga park. If you're from so cal you know this is the best coral store and the employees say they use bright well for the store but prefer salifert. Has anyone used salifert products?
To answer your question..."calcium is calcium so how could another brand be better."
1. I think some brands have higher quality control and more pure products, if that makes sense. Sometimes less is more, we don't want products with extra stuff we don't need building up in our systems, like metals etc.
2. Then there is the price thing which was already addressed.

I have only used Salifert for test kits so far. I think Vivid switched away from Brightwell saltmix.

Thank you ryshark. As for some of the others, all i can say is wow.

This site has been so great and ive learned so much. I feel i have outgrown this site and have signed up for a couple other sites. Bigger sites where people discuss new things they have tried and generally helpful forums.

Thank you to all who have helped, i will continue to pop in but for now i need friendly forums. Im not refering to this thread so much, but i have seen many threads where there is only one answer and is not open for discussion such as when anyone asks about protein skimmers, you immediately see a reply or advertisement for octopus and everything else is junk.

Back
Top Bottom