What are the conditions of growing hornwort (coontail)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new tank, with a few guppy fry in it, and a piece of hornwort in it. Nearby the tank, I have a Philips lamp, acting as the tank's lighting.

There's no article about hornworts here, so I'll keep going.

Looking closely at the hornwort, some leaves are separating from the main, and the edges are getting brown. There are also some greenish tiny hairs covering the whole hornwort, whether it's the main piece, or one of the smaller separated branches.

Via Google search, hornwort will grow as long as there is sunlight. I don't know how bright the sunlight should be, nor do I understand how does it grow. Should I turn on the lamp during the day?

Do I just leave it alone and keep changing water after every certain amount of time? What is the recommended frequency of water changing?

How do I tell if the aquarium tank is balanced enough for the hornwort to fully start growing, and becoming longer and greener?

And what should I need to avoid from killing the hornwort? What is it afraid of?

Thanks in advance.

Hornwort needs a fair bit of light, but since it floats this is usually easy to provide. One guppy won't provide much in the way of plant food for it. It needs 8 to 12 hours a day of light to flourish. Having said that, sometimes hornwort can be finicky, and start dying for no apparent reason, although it is usually very hard to kill. It will change it's colour and space between the whorls depending on the amount of light it gets.

Alright, thanks for the info.

If there are more info about hornworts, I'll gladly read them. :D

Back
Top Bottom