What are these bugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifewithpets

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed these bugs in my aquarium. The 10 gallon tank has been running for 6 months with just 2 fish in it. New live plants were added 4 months ago and nothing new has been added to the tank since then. The plants growth has been amazing and then we noticed these bugs 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know what they are, are they harmful or where they came from. None of my other tanks have them only this one.

Tank details
10 gallon with sand substrate.
Water change 25% once a week
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

In the mean time, can you describe them? Size? Shape? Do they swim and/or crawl? Do they dart or hover or hop (assuming they swim)?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry but I don't want to upload a video to my YouTube channel. I think I may have figured out what they are. I think they're seed shrimp. They're tiny and I have what seem to be 1000's of them. They swim gracefully clean the plants and crawl along the sand and glass. They're a light greyish color. The betta fish don't eat them. I tried to attach a picture but it came up with incorrect file extension. My plant growth since these things have arrived has been absolutely incredible! However I do want to try and get rid of them.

I was leaning towards that (seed shrimp/Ostracods). I have those in my shrimp tank. With no predators present, the population exploded. However, a few months later, the numbers dropped significantly. Not sure why. Still plenty of them in there.
Other than adding fish that will eat them, I'm not sure what else you could (safely) do to reduce the numbers.

It's good to have a second opinion. Thank you. Do you know what fish would eat them?

Back
Top Bottom