What are these water spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon that I am keeping cichlids in, and the glass on the sides of the tank ahve developed these water spots. I have scrubbed them with scotchbrite pads, scraped at them with razor blades, and tried everything in between. Anyone know what these are, or how I would get them off? Thanks!

C

cwt24 said:
I have a 75 gallon that I am keeping cichlids in, and the glass on the sides of the tank ahve developed these water spots. I have scrubbed them with scotchbrite pads, scraped at them with razor blades, and tried everything in between. Anyone know what these are, or how I would get them off? Thanks!

C
can you post a picture?

it looks like some kind of oily film on the glass if it is on the outside you might try a towel with vinigar on it or if the tank is empty use it on both sides

It looks like hard water mineral deposits to me... Vinegar or muriatic acid will work, but not when you have fish in there... you may be able to drain alot of the water out and then do the vinegar thing on a rag, just don't soak it and drip it into the water or you will alter your PH considerably.

I was going to recommend muriatic acid (HCL) to get rid of the spots. Be sure to rinse with lots of water and then do a final rinse with water and lots of dechlorinator to remove any Cl- ions present.

mineral deposits. You can use vinegar to get rid of them, but i'll tell you now, it is not worth the effort. when you fill the tank, they will not be visible.

Back
Top Bottom