What are these worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyKat

Aquarium Advice Activist
have a fairly new tank, just noticed these weird worm things, kind of freaking me out! are they bag or good?? all seem to be tiny, no huge ones lurking around.

Attachments

• 554527_359716534160073_858555041_n.jpg
    554527_359716534160073_858555041_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 1001250_359716464160080_1466840271_n.jpg
    1001250_359716464160080_1466840271_n.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 120
they're, arguably, good but i dont like them either because they just look nasty. if you have a decent clean up crew in the tank, you wouldn't need them at all. i always check my live rock to get rid of them first before putting the rocks in my tank. they are really hard to kill unless you have the natural predators such as cleaner shrimps and some wrasses. you can also make a trap for them if you wish to capture them all in your tank.

yea i pulled those bad boys out with a pair of tweezers. I looked online and there were so many different looking britle worms i was worried these were something else. they wont hurt my xenias right?

huizeng, how do i make a trap? i do have a good clean up crew, three hermits and a snail. i dont really care for the way they look either, but im mostly worried about one stabbing me when im trying to clean the tank or something.

yea i pulled those bad boys out with a pair of tweezers. I looked online and there were so many different looking britle worms i was worried these were something else. they wont hurt my xenias right?

they're usually harmless but will compete with other slower moving inverts for food.

huizeng, how do i make a trap? i do have a good clean up crew, three hermits and a snail. i dont really care for the way they look either, but im mostly worried about one stabbing me when im trying to clean the tank or something.

there's plenty youtube videos online. basically the trap involves fish food wrapped with some perforated cover in order to prevent the fish or other inverts getting trapped. since the worms are so slow moving, one typtically leaves the trap before they turn off the light for the night and pull the trap out of the water in the morning. trust me, if you have a lot of worms, it's not for the faint of heart :confused:

How big is your tank. Your clean up crew seems a little on th small size IMO

There is nothing wrong with Bristol worms. Good part of your cuc. If you have to many you are over feeding. Control feeding and control the population. :)

Back
Top Bottom