What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
img_892325_0_bbf3f6a141f57b55041acbf328cb3ee4.jpg

Just wondering, what are these?

Left side kinda looks like a feather duster of sorts. A side shot would probably take away any uncertainty.

Right side looks like a q-tip sponge.

Both are harmless, if that's what they are!

agree on both. looks like a decent sized feather duster too. Some of them can get very nice looking and people pay a decent amount of money for those. A good hitch hiker find.

yes i looks like a feather duster which i believe are filter feeders, it would be wise to look into what they eat so you can take care of it properly.

The things in the front left look like very unhappy button poylps.

Thanks everyone.

And they are unhappy, only some of them are opening. I can't figure out why, I'm feeding them Kent Marine PhytoPlex.

You said button polylps, when I bought them they said zooanthids - I dunno.

Corals dont live on pyhto plankton. IT may help but its more for the pods. They would like small meaty bits of frozon food fead in small amounts a few times a day. You can even target feed them but its not needed.

Though i dought this is there problem. I suspect a flow problem or water quality issues or a cycling tank.

Hmmm, it's hard to tell in the pick, but they could be zoas. I agree with Lance, can you post your water test results?
Have you completely cycled your tank?
I have both zoas and button polyps that I have never fed and they are thriving.

I'll do some more tests in the morning - although my cycle has been completed. It could also be cause I only have 2 daylight/2 actinic LED lights on top which are only 4 watts total - then again, it's a 5 gallon tank.

Above the qtip - It's a bristleworm. I've noticed about 4 in the tank now.

I read that zoas like flow so I placed it in a high flow spot and that's when they started to look like they were unhappy, so I moved them back down recently to where there's less flow hoping they will be happy again and stay open and colourful.

Lance can you suggest a frozen food then? And do I just drop it in or do I hold it there with tweezers or something?

Well I decided I would just do some tests now rather than wait.

Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Alkalinity: 3
PH: About 8
Temp: 80

Back
Top Bottom