What are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the4ous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, this little black ball started growing in my tank about 3 weeks ago. i had two of them one busted and i think shrimp came out of it. just wondering if that is what they are and what kind. sorry about the pics it was the best one's out of all i took and as close as i could get.:confused:
Thanks for the help
IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

That would be bubble algae....it is not a good thing. The best way to take car of the issue is manual removal. Be careful not to pop the bubbles as you remove them. They can release spores and cause more to grow. If you have them isolated on a single rock then I would take that rock out of the tank remove the algae from it and rinse the rock off in SW before putting it back into the tank.

thanks everyone! I will remove right away! one more q where could the little shrimp have come from in the 2nd pic i have not put any thing new in the tank in a long time. they just showed up around my filters.

They are a product of your LR. I expect they are mysid or mysis. They breed like rabbits and they are a good sign.

I have them in my tank and filters also. They are really pods and not shrimp. You can check out which type on that hitchiker link.

thank you all so much we have had the tank set up for about a year and this is the first time we have had anything like this happen. you all have been so helpful.

I agree with the rest. The 2nd pic looks like hair algae. You may want to up your PWCs, reduce feeding, light and clean out your filter media/sponges with the old SW. That algae is indicative of excess nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom