What are your favorite softies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philly

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have 2 65w 10,000 k power compacts and 2 65w atinic power compacts and two 20 w NO flouresence. I have a 90 gallon tank and softies are the only corals i can seem to sustain with my lighting. i want to compose a coral wish list but i need some ideas.

Mushrooms are one of my favorites

Attachments

• 000_0033_198.jpg
    000_0033_198.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 36
I would think you can keep shroons, zoos, Colt, sinularia just for starters.. Some corals may need to be placed high in the tank and others can go low..
I just picked up a light with the same bulbs for my 55 fowlr/frag tank and its bleaching my Kenya trees that are up high..
I also have some shroons in there that are doing well..

Here`s pics of both sides of my tank. I only have VHO not MH. But they are not low light. Not high either

Attachments

• 000_0015_360.jpg
    000_0015_360.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 000_0016_170.jpg
    000_0016_170.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 47
I think you could. If you look at the list seaham gave you it`s about everything I have in my tank. As you notice I dont have any High light corals in my tank. Anything that needs MH. Those that need the most light I keep at the top. Maybe one day I will go with MH , But I`m satisfied with what I have right now. When I`m ready for the big time I`ll get in touch with Brenden. :)

i have a question. do you think that 75 canadian dollars is to much for a goniopora coral?

just trying to see if my lfs is ripping me off

if it is can you recomend a good online coral store that ships to canada?

Dont know much about those type corals. I dont have enough light in my tank for them. Here is a more recent pic of my tank. Sorry I am not much of a camera bug.

Attachments

• 000_0137_177.jpg
    000_0137_177.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 39
I really like my cabbage leather (I think that's what it is). Here is a small pic.

Attachments

• cabbage_129.jpg
    cabbage_129.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 636
Goniporas are a very nice coral but they do not last long in our tanks.. They will slowly die over time, you may get a year out of it before it dies.
Not sure what 75 in cana money is but I can get one for 35-40..
They are not a super high light coral..

i got one and took it back with the advice of some of members here and apon further reading

I had a goniopora and it lasted about 2 months with MH lighting and ideal conditions. This is a coral that should be left in the wild.

I gave my LFS heck for selling it to me and they have stopped carrying it. Too many others to choose from to mess with it.

i like the green fingering leather

Attachments

• picture_011_175.jpg
    picture_011_175.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 31
  • picture_005_100.jpg
    picture_005_100.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 31
thanks guys this is what i want to order from JL aquatics, tell me if they will do well under my lighting.

Colt
Kenya Tree
Blue Mushrooms
Red Mushrooms
Green star polyps
Yellow polyps
Pearl Bubble (i was told, the only lps that would do well under my lighting)

any comments?

In a 90 its a deep tank so you will need to move things up and down on the LR till you find a spot they like.
The kenyas will do well anywhere in the tank. the shroons can go lover, I would put the bubble mid way and the same with the colt.. The GSP may need to go med to high..
Again alot depends on the lighting conditions that the coral is used too. I would start with a few hardy corals and then go from there..

Kenyas and shroons and yellow polyps are good starter croals.

i just got green star polyps and a small kenya tree. i drriped them and then put them at the top of rockscape and neither of them have expanded. not 1 green polyp haas emurged from the purple encrustaition. its been 3 hours!! and still nothing. whats going on???

Patience is a virtue. I`ve had some corals take a couple days to come out and be normal. Definitely going to need more than 3 hours. I believe those green star polyps are sensitive anyway. Let me know what they are doing tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom